Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gender identification...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies
Just was reading a "news" post about Angelina Jolie's daughter going as John and dressing in a suit. I know people are on the fence about this, and they say she has been this way since 2.

This year my three year old (boy) has been wanting to wear dresses, princess things, and wanted things said to be girl things. He has also said he wants to be a doctor like Doc McStuffins. I was shopping with my friends when I saw a set from the show he likes and my friend begged me to not get give in to his silly wants for pink things. So, we found a boy doctor set. He was happy to have it, but he has run to put on a dress this morning before he put on the doctor suit over. He is doctoring his stuffed animals. I know he would be just as happy, or more, if he had gotten the Doc McStuffins things as well.

I try so hard to not let him think wearing the girl stuff and liking it isn't what he should be doing, but I don't want to break his spirit, either. This could just be a fleeting thought for him.

For a while I also wanted to be a boy when I was a child and teen, but I realized that was because my family was strict in gender roles. I always saw my brothers seemed to have the better things and life than me. I don't treat my kids like this. My girls and boys have sepetated toys, but not chores and such. I grew up, too, and as an adult I learned that I can do whatever I want same as a boy. I like being a female now.

I am not wanting to encourage him, because I think this might be just a bit of jealousy against his sister. Girl toys do sparkle more than boy toys. I don't know what to do, though, since he might really grow to want to be a girl.

I can't be like Angelina and just go along with this in his life, but I feel guilty that I got him the doctor set when he would have wanted the other one more.

Help me?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 26, 2014 at 8:16 PM
Bump
the_dude
by abides on Dec. 26, 2014 at 8:17 PM
3 moms liked this

It doesn't matter what you want, it matters what your child wants. Shaming him is the worst thing you can do. 

Sassy762
by 200 on Dec. 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I don't care what any of my kids/grandkids want to play with or wear. I buy what they like and I don't let anyones opinion sway me.....fuck them

IF he wants to dress as a girl...FINE!!

IF he doesn't ...FINE!!

IF he wants to play with girl toys....FINE!!

If he doesn't....FINE!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)