Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The light at the end of the tunnel (Jeremiah update) Christmas update at bottom 12-27We

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM
  • 43 Replies
5 moms liked this

For those that do not know my back story, here is a short synopsis, for more information you can search for his name in this group and NC.

My son, Jeremiah, is now 15.5. He suffers from an aray of mental illnesses. He has been in and out of psychiatric placements since he was 7. His main diagnosis is ASD with SPD, he also suffers from Bipolar with psychotic episodes and hallucinations (possible schizo-affective disorder as an adult), ADHD, Conduct disorder, chronic PTSD and two learning disabilities. He is mentally around 10-12 yrs in age. 

Currently he has been out of the home for going on 11 mos. The placement he was in until 2 weeks ago was horrible. Court ordered, mostly for JD teens. He was abused by 2 staff members (on video was proof) and many of the kids in his unit. He had a tooth chipped to being kicked in his face while in a hold (during a psychotic episode), was stabbed with a pen, told daily these boys were going ot rape his sisters, etc. I fought hard to have him removed and was told to just deal with this placement until he could come home probably Jan 23rd after the next hearing.

Three weeks ago his PO emailed me that they found another placement for him to go to. It was a better fit, but he would not be coming home for at least 6 more months. I was devastated, he worked so hard, but really made not enough progress there. We traveled the 2 hrs during one of his home visits to visit the new place. WOW what a wonderful placement.

This new place is an Autism residential. Semi-secure, no locks on bedrooms, colorful walls, no jail feel. The staff are terrific and you can tell they really care. The unit only holds 6 boys, ages 12-16. My son fell in love right away. He was so excited to move into the new placement. So far he has had not even one incident. The staff love him (he can be so sweet and loving most of the time). The staff are constantly playing, laughing, teaching life skills in a fun way and all around supportive.

We will be going tomorrow morning to visit and bring him his Christmas presents (he was spoiled today by the staff too). I am so proud of the progress he has made since being there. No fights, no meltdowns, just being such a good boy. He feels at home and at peace. Finally, somewhere which understands his unique diagnosis.

My son has been dealt a bad hand at life, but I really feel we finally found the right place for help. Continued prayers and good thoughts for my baby boy are always appreciated. Thank you all for continuing to follow our story.

Went and visited Jeremiah yesterday and brought him his Christmas gifts. He is doing so well.

by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2and2onway
by Kimmie on Dec. 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM

BUMP!

proudGBmama
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Praise the lord you were able to get him out of there and hes safe.trading 6months for the help he truly needs and can help him is a small price for peace of mind and a happy child. Good luck mama.
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 6:59 PM

That's really great.

What happens when he turns 16, will he have to leave the new place even if it's such a good fit? Or is that just the age of the kids there now?

TheYesMom
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Not familiar with your back story, curious though: will he be there until 18? What then? How much does that place cost a month? Do you pay for it?
TheYesMom
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:01 PM
Also, congrats on the change in tide. He looks like he has a kind soul
2and2onway
by Kimmie on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Since he is deemed 100% disabled, he gets SSI and disability medicaid. Right now the courts have physical custody (was my only hoe getting him help when the psychiatric hospital released him too early after a medication change 11 mos ago), so between his medical, SSI and DCS somehow it gets paid. He will probably be home by May if he keeps goint the way he is.

Quoting TheYesMom: Not familiar with your back story, curious though: will he be there until 18? What then? How much does that place cost a month? Do you pay for it?

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Right now if he continues progressing he will be home right before turning 16, if not I believe there is an older unit he might be switched to, although with kids like him the change would probably do more harm than good so they may keep him even after he turned 16 if he was not able to come home before.

Quoting Zazayam:

That's really great.

What happens when he turns 16, will he have to leave the new place even if it's such a good fit? Or is that just the age of the kids there now?

2and2onway
by Kimmie on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Thank you, he really is very kind and gentle until the psychosis hits. His medication is working really well right now too. He really needs to learn the warning signs before psychosis to be able to recieve help before it hits, these are inner things that mommy and daddy cannot see before hand, that is one of the biggest things they are trying to teach him, self awareness.

Quoting TheYesMom: Also, congrats on the change in tide. He looks like he has a kind soul

MsJoa
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:14 PM
I'm so happy for you!
LilysMama719
by Emmy on Dec. 25, 2014 at 7:18 PM
That's great news!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)