Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age if ever did your child ask about the color of ppls skin?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
An African American man was volunteering for the Salvation Army the other day at a store we left . After passing by my 3 year old dd asked me "mommy why is his face black ?" I just simply replied "bc people have all different skin colors ." And that was that. I was always curious if she would ever ask bc you know how kids are. It surprised me though bc she has several different dolls with different colored skin and knows ppl of many races but never mentioned or asked about it until then .

When if ever did your child become curious about different skin colors ?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never met a person with an actual "black" face. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Around 3.

lovinglife1622
by Gold Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Mine never did. We are black and grew up in a white area so they were used to it. Cute story though, when my son was in kindergarten one of his classmates was having a birthday party and apparently only invited the other Indians in the class. My son came home kind of upset and he said that it wasn't fair to the Russians. Lol there were no Russian people in his class.
CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:42 PM

My four year old has asked a couple times. My answer was the same as yours. He also asked me why a bald guy didn't have any hair lol. 

AvantGardener
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

They started to notice at around 4 years old.

TheNamelessDoll
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

My oldest is about 8yrs old and has never asked.  

o.0
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM
They never asked. I did have to explain to my ods, when he was little, that those weren't clowns, they were nuns.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I can't really help that my 3 year old thought that was the closest color . And he was very dark complected so I didn't think she needed corrected . Ppl call white ppl white and I've never once met a "white "person either .

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I've never met a person with an actual "black" face. 

imyourPuppy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM

My kids are 5 and 6. Never asked that question. We live in NY, maybe they just used to see all sorts of different people. IDK?

squeekers
by squeekers on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM

DD learned skin color at xmas with our blended family. not everyone is any one color so she played dolls with black, white, asian, hispanic and little green army men.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)