Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my dog is becoming an aggressive jerk

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Over the last 6 months he's gotten meaner and meaner. I just don't know what to do, I don't want to get rid of him but he's become food aggressive, attacks our other dog if she's even in the room when he's eating. Has been bullying my friends dog that we've been watching this week. He actually bit my dd's finger when she tried to get her chicken leg away from him. We got him from the shelter a year and a half ago and I love him so much. Btw, Hess about 2 1/2, and he was fixed before we got him. Any suggestions?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Has he been neutered? If not, try that. May or may not help. Good luck. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:52 PM
He was fixed before we got him.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Has he been neutered? If not, try that. May or may not help. Good luck. 

KyBugsMommy815
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Obedience training?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Ceser Milan

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Lol I wish

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Ceser Milan

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 25, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Bump
Kellyjude1
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Obedience training might help.  If he is food agressive then I would place him by himself when feeding in a closed area.  Please do not allow your child around the dog with food.  Is the dog's bowel in a highley trafficked area? if so that needs to be changed he may feel threatened or just have anxiety. Talk to your vet if this is just suddenly occuring. Most important is supervision especially over your child when the dog is around.  Has your dog shown any other aggression other than food?  How is the dog's temperment other than food?  

Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Our dog is food aggressive so she is gated into the kitchen when she eats and when we eat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Food is really his only problem. And we have his bowl in the back corner of the dining room so that no one would ever need to be around while he's eating. Our other pup followed him over there a couple of weeks ago and he attacked her because of it.

Quoting Kellyjude1:

Obedience training might help.  If he is food agressive then I would place him by himself when feeding in a closed area.  Please do not allow your child around the dog with food.  Is the dog's bowel in a highley trafficked area? if so that needs to be changed he may feel threatened or just have anxiety. Talk to your vet if this is just suddenly occuring. Most important is supervision especially over your child when the dog is around.  Has your dog shown any other aggression other than food?  How is the dog's temperment other than food?  

Kellyjude1
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM

If you want to keep the dog then I think the only thing you can do for right now is to place the dog where he can eat by himself only.  You just need to take precautions since you now know he is food aggressive.  You would think the shelter you got him from would have informed you of this behavior especially with a child in your family and another dog.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)