Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wwyd if a kid reacted this way?

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:30 PM
  • 36 Replies
You don't personally know the kid but you got him/her a gift out of courtesy (you're friends with parents, maybe). It's nothing big or expensive but hey, you took the time to actually get them something.

Kid opens the gift, rolls her eyes then tosses it aside. When prompted by her mother to say thank you, kid just mumbles thanks and doesnt even make eye contact. Mother looks embarrassed but allows the kid to continue to open her other gifts.

Kid is 9 years old.

Wwyd if you were the gift giver? Wwyd if you were the parent?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.hummus
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyBugsMommy815
by Silver Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Shoot the kid dirty looks and bite my tongue. Lol!

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
If I was the parent, I'd smack him upside his head and apologize profusely from his horrid behavior.

If I gave the gift, I'd hold my tongue and only say "You're welcome" after the "thank you" is finally said.
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
My 5 year old did this today. I pulled him aside and he wasn't allowed to open anything else until he thought about what he did. He then thanked my BIL/SIL on his own.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM
I'd ignore it in either position and if I were the parent I'd rip my kid a new one later. Making a scene would probably make everyone uncomfortable.
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Never buy the kid a gift again and distance myself from the parents. We might still remain friends or coworkers or whatever but we wouldn't be close.
mrs.hummus
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:35 PM
I would have done the same. It kind of irritated me that she was allowed to open the rest of the gifts like nothing happened.

Quoting smorgan865: My 5 year old did this today. I pulled him aside and he wasn't allowed to open anything else until he thought about what he did. He then thanked my BIL/SIL on his own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fightlikegirl5
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM
My girl is extremely shy and autistic and doesn't like being *put on the spot* like that... So she Will NOT make eye contact and would whisper/mumble thank you.... Not a big deal
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM
At 9, I'd blame myself for raising a brat.
mrs.hummus
by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM
I'm hoping that was done.

Quoting quickbooksworm: I'd ignore it in either position and if I were the parent I'd rip my kid a new one later. Making a scene would probably make everyone uncomfortable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)