Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG, he's going crazy

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
I think my dad is losing his mind. My mom and sisters think so as well. He's always spouting off these fantastical stories that we know aren't true. He tells them to everyone, not just us.

Here's some things we've heard him tell people.

That he was in the Vietnam war - it ended when he was 17 and he said this to a Vietnam vet

That he flew planes down to Central America and killed people

That his dad was in Cuba trying to assinate Castro when they closed the borders - his dad was a CEO at an elevator company but he did disappear several times in my dad's life (usually to go cheat apparently).

That he's a millionare, my parents are solid middle class.

That he's paying everybody's bills - he tried to tell me he paid for my house the other day, he didn't

He insinuates to people that he was in the military all the time, he wasn't.

He also has these fixed ways he portrays me and my sister's. I'm the crappy mom who leaves her kids with the grandparents constantly and my house is a total disaster that you can barely walk through.

I actually stopped asking my parents to babysit the kids because of his craziness, he kept making insinuations towards me being that type of mom and I got worried that he would try something. Last year he asked me if could claim the kids on his taxes because "they take care of them anyway". They were watching the kids maybe once a month. He has also never been to any apartment or house I've ever lived in. I keep inviting him and he keeps complaining that I haven't invited him ...
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
janedoe13
by boxerdog lover on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:54 AM
5 moms liked this

sounds like your dad has a case of dementia. has he always been like this or is this a more recent thing?

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Seems he needs a mental health evaluation.
little.worthen
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 7:57 AM
I agree with dementia. He needs an evaluation
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:00 AM
It's been going on for several years now but has been getting more obvious and insane lately. I went to lunch with him a few weeks ago and he looks me dead in the eye and says "I'm sure you've realized that there's more to me. I'm going to go to Israel in a couple months to help some people out." He then went on to basically make it sound like he's some secret missionary.

Quoting janedoe13:

sounds like your dad has a case of dementia. has he always been like this or is this a more recent thing?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:01 AM
He won't go talk to anyone, my mom has tried but he of course thinks he's fine.

Quoting TexanMomOf6: Seems he needs a mental health evaluation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Any tips on how to get him to get an evaluation? He won't go talk to anyone willingly.

Quoting little.worthen: I agree with dementia. He needs an evaluation
FoxFire363
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
It could be dementia, or it could be delusional behavior and thought patterns resulting from psychosis. He needs an eval.
janedoe13
by boxerdog lover on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

yea that sounds more and more like dementia. are you and your dad on decent terms? he needs to be seen by a doctor to get an evaluation. my grandmother has the onset of dementia and from what you are describing it is almost like a mirror image of my grandmother. she would accuse family of taking things that she misplaced. she has accused family members of killing her oldest son. he died of a massive heart attack close to 15 years ago. it goes on and on. but like i said he needs to get an evaluation done for dementia.

Quoting Anonymous 1: It's been going on for several years now but has been getting more obvious and insane lately. I went to lunch with him a few weeks ago and he looks me dead in the eye and says "I'm sure you've realized that there's more to me. I'm going to go to Israel in a couple months to help some people out." He then went on to basically make it sound like he's some secret missionary.
Quoting janedoe13:

little.worthen
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:06 AM
Well unfortunately you can't force him until he gets so bad that it's more than just stories.
It's sad. Try asking your mom to talk him into it

Quoting Anonymous 1: Any tips on how to get him to get an evaluation? He won't go talk to anyone willingly.

Quoting little.worthen: I agree with dementia. He needs an evaluation
DevonD83
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:06 AM
You could. Well his wife could have him committed if he's a danger to himself or others
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)