Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Simple. Healthy. Delicious. Need ideas!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
My family and I are trying to get healthy in the new year. DH and I have put on a lot of weight since having our baby. I make unhealthy foods, and we don't exercise. I need healthy ideas for meals. Nothing complicated or too expensive. It's tough because I live with picky eaters. Usually we eat things like breaded meats with gravy, high carbs and tons of sweets. We have egg and cheese sandwiches almost everyday for breakfast with meat. Sandwiches or Mac and cheese for lunch. Ice cream nearly every night, and it's not frozen yogurt, it's loaded brownie sundae ice cream. Too much pizza, too much cheese. Ahhhhhhhh! Help me! I can cook.....,we are just hearty and robust people.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:19 AM
I am trying to get together a grocery list and meal plan. We really need a complete diet make over! I am motivated and ready!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Google works
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Sure does.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Google works
Mom2_Jimmy_Anka
by Samantha on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Cut out the breading and gravy on meat and add veggies to your meals.

Make ice cream a once a week treat and try to switch to a sorbet.

Cut down on the amount of sugar and carbs in your diet.

If you eat sandwiches make them on whole wheat with lots of veggies.

Instead of breakfast sandwiches make omelets with veggies.

You can tweak your diet without completely changing it. I could give you more ideas but I would need to know what your picky eaters don't eat.

Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM

There's several groups on here that can help in a more comprehensive way.  But for starters, you're going to need to make a list of meals your family enjoys and then find a way to make them healthier.  Home made mac and cheese is better for you than the box stuff.  Pizza with just veggies is a very healthy meal.  Don't put meat on it and you'll be fine having it once a month or more.

Really you just need to make healthier substitutes for what you already eat.  Otherwise you won't be able to make this work.

And your picky eaters will have to learn to be less picky.  And want less meat and white bread and sweets.  Re-training your taste buds will take time but it's worth it.

Some switches:

Whole grain bread for white or "wheat"

Skim or 1% milk for whole or 2%

Oatmeal for breakfast with a fruit, cinnamon, and milk or yogurt 

Veggie pizza instead of meaty

brown Rice instead of pasta

Fruit with a little fat free whipped cream instead of ice cream every night.

etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Its not awful, I have a toddler now and it changes daily. My DH is 'meat and potatoes' kind of guy. Getting him to eat fruits is a pain. He'll eat veggies, he just doesn't like weird complicated dishes.

Quoting Mom2_Jimmy_Anka:

Cut out the breading and gravy on meat and add veggies to your meals.

Make ice cream a once a week treat and try to switch to a sorbet.

Cut down on the amount of sugar and carbs in your diet.

If you eat sandwiches make them on whole wheat with lots of veggies.

Instead of breakfast sandwiches make omelets with veggies.

You can tweak your diet without completely changing it. I could give you more ideas but I would need to know what your picky eaters don't eat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:32 AM
That's a great way to look at it. We eat a lot of Mexican food too. Like tacos burritos casserole type dishes. We love butter and cheese lol. It's'so terrible, but so yummy.

Quoting Saphira1207:

There's several groups on here that can help in a more comprehensive way.  But for starters, you're going to need to make a list of meals your family enjoys and then find a way to make them healthier.  Home made mac and cheese is better for you than the box stuff.  Pizza with just veggies is a very healthy meal.  Don't put meat on it and you'll be fine having it once a month or more.

Really you just need to make healthier substitutes for what you already eat.  Otherwise you won't be able to make this work.

And your picky eaters will have to learn to be less picky.  And want less meat and white bread and sweets.  Re-training your taste buds will take time but it's worth it.

Some switches:

etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM
It also doesn't help that we have monstrous appetites.

Quoting Saphira1207:

Some switches:

etc.

rebecca_tal4
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Onions, bell peppers, and chicken strips are a favorite in this house. Basically chicken fajitas.
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:37 AM
Google some lower carb options. Switch to low carb pasta

If you switch to a crockpot and load soups and stews up with veggies it all blends so nicely no one will know it by the time it cooks.

We eat lower carb!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)