• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety Over Family Christmas gathering? PLEASE HELP!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

so i posted about this, my MIL exposed my personal information to a few family members and it was extremely private information like that earlier in the year i had stayed inpatient in a ward for two days for suicial tendencies, that i was recieving therapy, and that i had chosen to not have contact with her or allow her around my kids...

well today is the christmas party for our family, we always celebrate after due to everyone's hetic schedule, so i don't feel comfortable going, they all know about the therapy, the hospital stay and i never wanted to tell them until i was ready, something that me and my therapist had agreed on. and now she's gone and aired my personal business between her and i to the family like a little tattletale. my therapist and husband were both furious when they found out...

i just don't know how to handle it, i mean i really want to go to the party, but i feel so embarrassed and ashamed about what they know and i wanted to go but i don't know how to cope with the anxiety and the shame/embarrassment...

any ideas? what would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Please don't EVER be ashamed that you got yourself the help you needed to continue being a whole person for yourself and your kids! Hold your head up high! You were so strong and brave for facing your demons and exposing some very sensitive parts of your mind to the professionals who took care of you. There is NOTHING to be ashamed of!

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM
5 moms liked this

You go, you take the people who know aside, you confirm the rumors, but you say "yes, I needed some help but I feel so much better now and I'm so glad I was able to get the care I needed. Thank you so much for caring! I feel great these days!"

Foolynroo2
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

What I would do is probably not what you would do - because I'm not suffering with whatever mental illness you are that makes you want to kill yourself.

But I would go - smile laugh, be kind to  her - overly kind
And smile at her with a sweet endearing smile that say "I know something you don't" and a little bit of pity.

it will drive her insane 

and you will show everyone you're healthy again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I would stop blaming your mil for your problems.

happyinlove456
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:25 AM
I'd either go and act like nothing happened or stay home.
kristawilder
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:27 AM
I would not go, but I also have anxiety issues. I went through some issues with DH's family over the summer and I thought it would be hard to see them. I ovoided it for a few months but when I finally did see them it wasn't that big of a deal, no one was rude, or brought anything up. My husband helped me with lots of encouragement that everything was going to be fine and no one would do or say anything. He was right.
Jblb
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this
You go, you hold your head up high and you show those people, that yes, you may have been down for a short time, but now you are UP!
epoh
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Either this, or another solution would be skipping the party and curling up in bed with a hot cup of coffee and listening to Moonlight Sonata while you watch prism rainbows dance on the wall. Or maybe that's just what I would do.

Quoting Jblb: You go, you hold your head up high and you show those people, that yes, you may have been down for a short time, but now you are UP!
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM
This and I've been inpatient several times, once was even involuntarily.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Please don't EVER be ashamed that you got yourself the help you needed to continue being a whole person for yourself and your kids! Hold your head up high! You were so strong and brave for facing your demons and exposing some very sensitive parts of your mind to the professionals who took care of you. There is NOTHING to be ashamed of!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Why did YOU air your personal business to her??????

I dont tell anyone ANYTHING I dont want repeated. It doesnt matter who it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)