Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Found money....what do you do?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

My kiddo is going to a 80/90s themed party for New Years.  A friend do mine is hosting it.  DD wanted a Members Only jacket.  We scoured thrift stores and finally found one.  Got it home and there was $100 in the pocket.  She thinks we need to go back to the thrift shop where we bought the jacket and turn it in.  

I doubt they keep track of what clothes came from where...and who knows how long that money has been in that pocket.   I told her we would call and ask if they keep a record of donations like that and if they do we will take it back.  If not...she can donate it to a charity.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I would just keep it. Chances are the person who got rid of the jacket didn't even know it was in there. They probably hadn't worn it themselves in a long time if they dropped it off at a thrift shop. If they did, they probably would have come back. A lot of places dont put things on the rack right away.

143myboys9496
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I'd keep it. My yds found $100 next to a melted snow back a few days ago.

Rogue35
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM
I would keep it too.I would call the thrift store don't mention the money.Ask them if the keep track of who donates what. I highly doubt they do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Keep it for crying out loud.You bought the damn jacket which means you now own it and anything that was  in it.Might be different if you had found the jacket or it had been given to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM

keep it, thats what they're going to do.

Vesta20
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Tell her it's fate and take her to a nice lunch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:29 AM
I would keep it. It's a blessing :) I found $119 in a parking lot all wadded up and I kept it. Couldn't have come at a better time.
kiwiskiwi29
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Keep it. Maybe the person that owned that jacket was like me and purposely put it there. I've gotten rid of old purses and deliberately stuck bills in the pouches as a nice surprise for the next owner. I find it fun.

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Thrift stores don't keep track of who donates what items unless its big ticket items like furniture.  Chances are, nobody knew it was there, not even the original owner.

Consider it good fortune.

CLA25233
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Nope.  That's happened to my mom before.  Once you buy it it belongs to you.  The store can't do anything about finding the former owner and you have no idea how long the jacket has been there, or if it's been moved around to 12 different stores before landing in your hands.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)