• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QUESTION ABOUT DD'S HAIR!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
my dd just turned 12, she's all ready started having periods this past August. So I'm sure this is a whole puberty thing. The problem we are having is her hair is SUPER OILY, she can't go a day without washing because it will look like she rolled her head in Crisco. We also have to be careful about what kind of shampoo and conditioner we use, because it will build up like crazy. So I've been buying the clarifying stuff and it works, BUT then it dries her scalp out and she gets horrible dandruff and her sclap itches like crazy. We use the stuff for dandruff and then we have the Crisco head again! Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe a good shampoo and conditioner that can use so this doesn't happen?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM

something with tea tree oil, and have her use a dry shampoo inbetween washes. helps rid of excess oil.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Thank you! I'll try anything at this point!

Quoting OwlNuggets:

something with tea tree oil, and have her use a dry shampoo inbetween washes. helps rid of excess oil.

AjMorczek
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I have super oily hair too, I use baby powder to soak up the oil. It's not always my go to but it does help. I also only condition the ends of my hair.

I use organic shampoo's, and I switch every week so there's no build up ^_^. That seems to help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I would take her to the hair dresser and see what is recommended. If that doesn't work the dermatologist should be able to help.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:49 AM

baby powder works to soak up excess oil too, but dry shampoo smells better and is easier to apply because it comes in an aerosol can. Have her brush her hair, apply dry shampoo to the roots, tossle her hair with her fingers, then brush it again. Works for me :D

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you! I'll try anything at this point!
Quoting OwlNuggets:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Use organic shampoos. Without the Sodium Laurel Sulfate.

bleumonster
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Mine was like as a teen. I just washed it everyday.
thetrollcat
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM

my recommendation would be to only wash the ends of the hair rather than full scalp washes. As for condititioner, stop using it all together and just condition the ends of the hair also. Just spray or rub oil on the ends instead of conditioning (especially if she flat irons or so).

The dry shampoo is a good idea, perhaps try the baby powder at night to help keep the hair from getting excessive oil over night then a nice end wash in the morning.

Keep in mind that things will be more dramatic during puberty time and can get better as they get older. My niece had really greasy hair also and it stunk! So the more she washed the worse it got also.

HAHuskey
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Mobile Photo

I have oily hair and use this.

You can also try a home made baking soda and vinegar shampoo.
mama232011
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:00 PM
I've heard the more you wash the more oil is produced maybe try to go 2-3 days between for a few weeks hopefully it helps
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)