Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Core training prior to pregnancy???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Did anyone work on their abdominal muscles prior to trying to conceive?? Ive had two kids already and ive bounced back almost immediately after both. There's a 5 year gap between my two kids though so I think that also helped. I prepped myself prior to having them so that my body would be very healthy and a great environment for my growing babies.. I never really worried about my abs though but this time I think I should maybe work on them? lol... Because we are thinking of having a third and the time between my 2nd and the third would be about 18 months - 2 years. Plus im getting older so I don't think my stomach will hold up as well. Im still pretty small framed (5"2 and 102 lbs) but I know pregnancy can really stretch out the abdominal muscles.

If you prepped your abs prior to pregnancy did they hold up better post partum?? Also was your labor easier?? My main goal is just to be healthy for my babies but it doesn't hurt to prepare your abs before right? lol

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
HazelBug
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM
I did a crazy amount of core work the first time. Of course pregnancy gave me a jelly belly anyway. I did a lot of core work before the second pregnancy too. I've got a soft belly now. But it's been not quite 3 months since the baby was born. I do the core strength training to help prevent back problems. I don't have back problems.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Quoting HazelBug: I did a crazy amount of core work the first time. Of course pregnancy gave me a jelly belly anyway. I did a lot of core work before the second pregnancy too. I've got a soft belly now. But it's been not quite 3 months since the baby was born. I do the core strength training to help prevent back problems. I don't have back problems.

lol whats a jelly belly?? Sorry, hope you dont mind my asking.

Djinn83
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM

"Core" work is more than just abs. It also includes your lower back and postural chain.

whether you "bounce" back or not depends on many factors. But core work will definitely help. The biggest help will be with preventing diastisis recti and pelvic floor problems post natal.

momto1ryen
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Yes, but it wasn't for pregnancy. Fitness is apart of my life regardless. Misconception though abs are not the only part of your core and if you work you front you need to work your back too. Depending on what type of workout your looking for I could suggest a few that might he beneficial.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:58 PM
I wish I had, and would recommend getting into a good exercise regime before pregnancy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Quoting momto1ryen: Yes, but it wasn't for pregnancy. Fitness is apart of my life regardless. Misconception though abs are not the only part of your core and if you work you front you need to work your back too. Depending on what type of workout your looking for I could suggest a few that might he beneficial.

Ya! Ill take any suggestions :)

HazelBug
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:10 PM
It means it's soft and squishy much like jello or jelly.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting HazelBug: I did a crazy amount of core work the first time. Of course pregnancy gave me a jelly belly anyway. I did a lot of core work before the second pregnancy too. I've got a soft belly now. But it's been not quite 3 months since the baby was born. I do the core strength training to help prevent back problems. I don't have back problems.

lol whats a jelly belly?? Sorry, hope you dont mind my asking.

momto1ryen
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Pilates is great for core, a medicine ball is good for core and piyo from beachbody rocks!
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting momto1ryen: Yes, but it wasn't for pregnancy. Fitness is apart of my life regardless. Misconception though abs are not the only part of your core and if you work you front you need to work your back too. Depending on what type of workout your looking for I could suggest a few that might he beneficial.

Ya! Ill take any suggestions :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)