Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism at church

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM
  • 395 Replies
1 mom liked this

I had an interesting experience at church today and thought I would share and ask for opinions here.

My daughter and I were sitting in the chapel in the middle of the service today and I started hearing something strange going on behind us. There was a boy, probably between 5 and 7 sitting with his family and he had a phone in his hand. He was clearly playing a game (correction, my daughter said that he was watching a movie with a talking orange) with the volume on. I ignored it for a minute, hoping mom was going to figure it out and turn it off. Well, she didn't, so I turned and gave them the "Are you serious?!" look. She took the boy out into the hall.

Well, after the meeting, this woman's friend walks up to me and tells me that she couldn't believe the nasty look I gave her friend. She said that the boy has autism and she is trying to encourage her friend to come to church and that she had never seen such a nasty look. So, I pulled out MY card. I explained that my daughter is actually deaf and she works very hard to listen in the meetings and having that kind of background noise is extremely distracting. I said that her microphone picks up everything and makes it louder, and since the source of the noise was closer, the phone would be louder than the speaker, and it makes it very difficult for her to understand what is going on. The friend then told me that the child's dad just dies 2 months ago and that I need to "understand where she is coming from". I responded, sorry, but that they need to understand where *I* am coming from too.

Truth is, I don't care that my daughter is deaf, yes, that is a tiny part of why I was annoyed, and yes, it made it far more difficult for her to try to concentrate, but deaf or not, we were in the right! Why would I have to defend being annoyed by your child watching a movie OUTLOUD during a church service? And I didn't say a word! I just turned and looked at them. 

Nuts, right?!

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM
8 moms liked this
I can't think of a legit reason it would be ok to have a phone out with volume up during a sermon in church. For anyone.
mommieof38829
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM
14 moms liked this
He should have had headphones on or something. Doesn't matter if he had autism or not. It was rude
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this
That's just obnoxious. If he can't participate in the service he should be in the nursery or somewhere he won't disturb people. I don't GAF about his SNs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:48 PM

If he 'needed' that to be calm... then the mom should have had him bring ear buds.  Regardless of his autism, and the death of his father, to have the game/movie audible to others was just plain rude.

SRUsarahSC
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:48 PM

You aren't wrong.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:51 PM

eh my sil didn't find it odd for her grandson (3 yrs old with no sn) watched his ipod during our other brother in laws memorial service. When I gave her the are you serious look, she started yelling at me in the middle of the service.

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

And for the friend to think what I did was so far over the line that she just HAS to come up to me after the meeting and tell me I was rude? Seriously?

rgba
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:51 PM
3 moms liked this
The video was inappropriate, but you could have just asked her to turn it off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM
4 moms liked this

You do not have a child watch a movie in church, especially with the volume on. If her little snowflake can't focus, she should take him to the cry room so he can watch his movie so that the others could worship. sorry, but this is lazy parenting. I cannot stand mothers who make excuses for their children. He may have autism, but she needs to woman up and parent her child.

faire_jour
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this

That wouldn't have been worse than just turing my head and looking at them?

Quoting rgba: The video was inappropriate, but you could have just asked her to turn it off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)