Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

anyone have experience with a coombs positive baby?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I had a baby several years ago who was coombs positive and my DH and i both vaguelly remember the doctor telling me if we ever chose to have another baby i needed to see him or another doctor before getting pregnant, and i would probably have to see a high risk doctor during pregnancy.But i cant remember why or how my DD being coombs positive would affect future pregnancies. we didnt know she wa coombs positive until she was born so i didnt have difficulties during pregnacy that i would think hed be worried about. she was breech and had low fluids towards the end so i had a csection but thats a totally seperate issue.

Does anyone have expierence with this? DH and i didnt plan on having another but im now 10 days late. I called the docs office friday (just as a "how bad would it be if i was to get preg") and they said hes out of the office until after the new year. I plan to test in the morning to find out for sure but now im worried and just wondering if im worrying for nothing or what...

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM
bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:27 PM
bump
theboyfactory
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:28 PM
I don't know anything about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:30 PM
What is coombs positive?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Both my girls were Coombs positive. I had to stay an extra 7 days after birth with them. What my doctor told me was they had really bad jaundice because I'm O positive and babies came out B positive like their dad. Doctor told me all my children will be Coombs positive but their children shouldn't. Never heard of have to be high risk or anything though. They just had to sit under the lights for that week and have been fine. I'm having baby number three in the summer and am expecting the same long stay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Quoting Anonymous 3: Both my girls were Coombs positive. I had to stay an extra 7 days after birth with them. What my doctor told me was they had really bad jaundice because I'm O positive and babies came out B positive like their dad. Doctor told me all my children will be Coombs positive but their children shouldn't. Never heard of have to be high risk or anything though. They just had to sit under the lights for that week and have been fine. I'm having baby number three in the summer and am expecting the same long stay.

i didnt have to stay longer, and my first 2 kids werent coombs positive. just my 3rd. but he stressed it was more about my blood attacking DDs and less about the jaundice. she was jaundice and they sent us home with the lights but i think she was "barely" jaundice. like her levels were low

. but they tested her blood for what seems like months after she was born because mine was attacking hers. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Yep that's what my doctor said too. Your baby has a different blood type than you so they had to fight it off after birth which caused the jaundice. My second didn't have it as bad as my first but since my first stayed they kept her long just to be safe. I wish they sent us home with the lights, would've been great.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 3: Both my girls were Coombs positive. I had to stay an extra 7 days after birth with them. What my doctor told me was they had really bad jaundice because I'm O positive and babies came out B positive like their dad. Doctor told me all my children will be Coombs positive but their children shouldn't. Never heard of have to be high risk or anything though. They just had to sit under the lights for that week and have been fine. I'm having baby number three in the summer and am expecting the same long stay.

i didnt have to stay longer, and my first 2 kids werent coombs positive. just my 3rd. but he stressed it was more about my blood attacking DDs and less about the jaundice. she was jaundice and they sent us home with the lights but i think she was "barely" jaundice. like her levels were low

. but they tested her blood for what seems like months after she was born because mine was attacking hers. 

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:01 PM
My second had "Coombs markers" so we stayed an extra day. I felt like it was a witch hunt for them to find something wrong with him. I'm tiny (100lbs when not pregnant), and he was 9lbs10oz. So they were in my case about why he was so big. They checked him for diabetes, really on my case about feedings (nursing), jaundice levels, etc. We had blood tests for several days after we got home.

Everything was perfectly fine with him. I was very frustrated.
tigermommy24
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM
What the hell is Coombs?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)