• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wish i would have said something

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM
  • 58 Replies
Kinda. Still not sure what I would have said.

We went out to eat last week and in a booth next to us was a family of four. Mom, dad and two daughters probably 12 and 14.
The dad was such an asshole.

The older girl started to talk about her day at school and the dad said "did I ask you about your god damn day?"
But when the younger girl started to talk he laughed and talked nicely to her.
Then the older girl asks if she could please have a napkin and the dad said something about shutting up, or he would take her eye out with his fork right there at the table.

I don't know what I would have said, and it probably would have made things worse for the girl. But I can't stop thinking about it.
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:14 PM
I'd at least have very obviously given him the stink eye and told my DH very loudly that we were surrounded by assholes.

ohwrite
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Oh my gosh that poor child. I don't know how I would have handled that either. It's hard to say something because you don't want to make things worse, and yet knowing that a child is being at least verbally abused, and possibly physically abused is a horrible thing. The mother said nothing during this exchange?

DezsMommy09
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Thats terrible
othersideM
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Oh man :/
chiefsfan91
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM
That's what I told my family when they asked me what was wrong.

Quoting Danesmommy1: I'd at least have very obviously given him the stink eye and told my DH very loudly that we were surrounded by assholes.

chiefsfan91
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM
No she just laughed when the younger daughter talked about her day

Quoting ohwrite:

Oh my gosh that poor child. I don't know how I would have handled that either. It's hard to say something because you don't want to make things worse, and yet knowing that a child is being at least verbally abused, and possibly physically abused is a horrible thing. The mother said nothing during this exchange?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Jesus... are you serious? I don't even know how I'd react to a situation like that. It's probably good you didn't say something though, because if he is physically abusive he would have taken it out on her when they got home. I think I would have asked her if she was okay had she stepped away for a moment though.
DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:23 PM

It's  a shame that the father is doing this. It's even worse that her mother just stood by. But I bet that behind closed doors the father is abusive to both mother and daughter. You're right, had you spoken up it might have made things worse for the daughter but it might also have smacked the man in the head. Then again, he might have attacked you or even shot you. You never know with people.

It's a shame that this kind of thing still happens in spite of all the education.

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Really? You would say what??? You have no idea what this stupid teenage girl did , but I bet it was bad. 

chiefsfan91
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM
I should have done that. :( I just still feel bad

Quoting Anonymous 1: Jesus... are you serious? I don't even know how I'd react to a situation like that. It's probably good you didn't say something though, because if he is physically abusive he would have taken it out on her when they got home. I think I would have asked her if she was okay had she stepped away for a moment though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)