Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay ladies, for any of you with trucker SO's. . . ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 47 Replies

Or just for any of you that are close with and know detailed information on truckers and the industry in general, I would love some info and opinions.  My DH has done a magnitude of research and has finally made the decision, after months of deliberation between us, to go into trucking.

For those of you with experience, what are the pros and cons?  And I mean beyond the obvious pros and cons, like more money vs. minimal home time.  I'm talking about information that's not blatantly available.  We are also aware that the pay will not be stellar upon entry, but after a year to 2 years, it will greatly increase.  The starting pay is still more than what he is making at his current job by a good chunk.

Also, what company are you, SO, family, friend, or whatever contracted with?  What ones do you recommend or not recommend and why?

All info is greatly appreciated!

"Lot lizards" are not a determining factor.  If I was at all concerned about DH being unfaithful, I wouldn't be with him, let alone making this huge life-altering decision with him. (A lot of you are super misinformed about truck stop prostitutes, and that's understandable because it's not like a common sense every day type of subject. Still, though, you're wrong.)

My kids are not his biologically, he is their stepfather.  He joined the family after they were all almost/teenagers. They all get along fine, but they are not close in a parent/child type of way.

I was a single parent for many years and did everything on my own, so I know I can do it again, especially since we'll be provided for financially this go around and I won't have to worry about holding down a job on top of everything else.

Just wanted to get this info out there, since I saw a lot of you talking about it. No need, though! Any other info is still appreciated, and thanks to all of you that have provided it so far! Keep it coming please!!

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Truck stop prostitutes. Would he be able to resist?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM

For 100,000+ a year, truck stop prostitutes are not even on my radar, even if they weren't just mostly a myth.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

wilky5
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:42 PM
My dad was a trucker. It was rough at first. He drove for a company and didn't make much at all. Eventually he got his own rig with set freight every week and made killer money. It was hard on us kids as he wouldn't even be in town for some of the weekends he was supposed to have us. At least I got to go to Disneyland and Sea-world a few times a year:)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1:

For 100,000+ a year, truck stop prostitutes are not even on my radar, even if they weren't just mostly a myth.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

So you don't care if he has side pieces on the road? And, I know truck drivers, they are not just a myth. What happens OTR stays OTR for most of them. 

eadyT
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Not saying he will succumb to them. They do exist, you're exactly right.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

So you don't care if he has side pieces on the road? And, I know truck drivers, they are not just a myth. What happens OTR stays OTR for most of them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM

That's why I asked if he would be able to resist them. Some do. Many don't.

Quoting eadyT: Not saying he will succumb to them. They do exist, you're exactly right.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I mean truck stop prostitutes being a myth.  Literally no decent, legitimate truck stops allow hookers to just chill there.  And yes, this is something I know about.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

eadyT
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Yes. I was agreeing.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

That's why I asked if he would be able to resist them. Some do. Many don't.

Quoting eadyT: Not saying he will succumb to them. They do exist, you're exactly right.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM
My daddy, uncle, and grandpa are/were drivers. My daddy has driven both over the road where he was gone for months at a time, and locally where he's home every night and weekends. If he gets in with a good company, you've really made it. It can be great money, plus my Mom got to go with him on certain trips for anniversaries and special occasions. They have some great memories and pictures. A bad company is just not worth the stress and hassle. Not anywhere near enough money for all the negatives. When my dad fished school and got hired for his first driving job, it completely changed our lives for the better. I was only in kindergarten and I remember it clearly.
Bennett121
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Get with a good company. Nothing worse than being laid over for days and being states away from home. Just sitting in your truck with no pay.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)