Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do people actually think like this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this
So there is this local mom I was chatting with one day. She was going on about how much her husband makes, this and that. Then she started complaining that she was upset that she's not driving an Mercedes so that "people could see thier money". -_-
The funny thing is they don't really make a ton according to what she told me. I'm pretty sure she thinks they make more than we do the way she talks to me. But I have no interest in buying things like that so that people can see our money, so maybe that's why.
Whenever I see someone flaunting possessions I just think of what she said.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2Bri425
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM
You know there are.
DanaG70
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Yup, you see it here all the time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:05 PM
I was shocked to hear it vocalized like that.

Quoting Mommy2Bri425: You know there are.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:06 PM

I'm pretty sure there are people like that. Lots of them actually. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:06 PM
2 moms liked this
People who discuss money are either "new" money or not genuinely wealthy. Those with money don't discuss their assets.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Well I want a nice car, but not so that people can see my money. Because I really like cars & have for forever. So I never used to think of it that way. Until she said it point blank like that.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I'm the same way. I have actually been looking at a Merc. Not because I want to flaunt my money but because everyone I know with one has an ancient one that still runs like new. I want a reliable car. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: Well I want a nice car, but not so that people can see my money. Because I really like cars & have for forever. So I never used to think of it that way. Until she said it point blank like that.
Quoting AliKatAK47:

livyla
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Normally when ppm talk about how much $ they have, they really don't have any.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM
She's 25, her hubby used to be a nursing student and then he went oilfield and she acts like they are rolling in it. So she's young. She's definitely not wealthy per what she said.

Quoting Anonymous 2: People who discuss money are either "new" money or not genuinely wealthy. Those with money don't discuss their assets.
Bigmetalchicken
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to live in a town with a ton of fake money people. Like, the ones that want to believe they have money, but really, they have a ton of credit debt and delusions? I actually had a woman in that town tell me that I was dishonoring my husband by being excited about my talent for finding great deals, because looking for deals, and refusing to pay full price for something is the same as saying he did not make enough money to support us. Um... First off, We both bring money to the family pot, and secondly, i do not bargain shop because we can't afford to pay full price, but because i feel it is stupid to pay full price for anything you can get for cheaper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)