Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Honest question about autism....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
And before I ask the question I will point out that I have Aspergers so I do know autisim is real.

I have a 6 year old nephew whom I spend a very large amount of time with and have since the day he was born. When he is with me he doesn't have tantrums, tries most foods, can go to movies and restaurants and sit for the most part an can control his behavior.

However if my sister is around he throws huge tantrums, has meltdown after meltdown, supposedly can't go toovies because they are too loud, and can do nothing for himself like out on his shoes and coat.

How is not possible that he behaves one way for me and a completely different way for her? He even hits her at times!
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM
B
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Different expectations/discipline from different people.  If he truly was on the Autism Spectrum it wouldn't matter who he was with, he'd still have the same behaviors in the same situations.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like he's learned how to manipulate his mother.
lauren.m
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:21 PM
He knows how to play her and get what he wants.
jeda1429
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:22 PM

don't know . My kids autistic and he's pretty wesome no matter who he's with.

Rangermom772
by Platinum Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM

When my niece was young, she was wonderful for us and horrible for her parents. Her parents sucked.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM
He is truly autistic I believe. He and I have a lot of the same traits I guess you would call them lol so while I enforce behavior I also make exceptions. Like at the parade when I heard the fire trucks in the distance I pulled out my head phones and a pair I brought for him as we both can't stand excessive noise. When he and I got get donutes we have sprite to drink cause the oj has pulp lol and we both will tear up napkins and line the pieces up if we get nervous lol I just think she treats him to uh special needs I guess instead of like a regular kid with a few acomadations

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Different expectations/discipline from different people.  If he truly was on the Autism Spectrum it wouldn't matter who he was with, he'd still have the same behaviors in the same situations.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Other than needing a few simple accommodations my nephew is a wonderful child except with my sister :(

Quoting jeda1429:

don't know . My kids autistic and he's pretty wesome no matter who he's with.

demonica29
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Perhaps because you're on the spectrum you 'get him' an an unconscious level. And in return, he gets you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Sorry, he just knows how to play his mom better than you.  I have an autistic child, he couldn't control his tantrums no matter who he was with.  Loud noises, including movies, would be a problem no matter who he was with as well.    You nephew could easily have a sensory processing problem or anxiety though.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He is truly autistic I believe. He and I have a lot of the same traits I guess you would call them lol so while I enforce behavior I also make exceptions. Like at the parade when I heard the fire trucks in the distance I pulled out my head phones and a pair I brought for him as we both can't stand excessive noise. When he and I got get donutes we have sprite to drink cause the oj has pulp lol and we both will tear up napkins and line the pieces up if we get nervous lol I just think she treats him to uh special needs I guess instead of like a regular kid with a few acomadations
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)