Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Meanie Pants I need your help! My dog is spastic!

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
  • 38 Replies
I dont know if you remember but I made a post a few weeks ago about training the new pup. I am at a loss, I love her to pieces but she is the most hyperactive puppy I have ever seen. We cant play with her, pet her, anything. She nips at anything that comes within 2 feet of her, not aggressive but just like she cant help herself. I have to monitor her like a hawk in the house, she will not leave our older dog alone and he is very old with severe athritis. (She constantly runs up behind him nipping his legs causing him to fall) I put a running line outside to help her run off some energy, no help at all. She's just as spastic when I bring her inside. Whenever she's loose in the house its constant running/nipping at everyone and anything, aggravating the older dog....theres no medium. I really dont know what else to do, what am I doing wrong here??

Eta: She's a 13/14 wk old german shepherd mix if that helps
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rebirth0112
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM
BUMP!
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM
Bump for Meanie Pants.

Or Foo might be able to help if she can untwist her panties, lol. (Hi Foo!!)
Rebirth0112
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM
lol youre silly! I know Foo has german shepherds too, I hope she can offer some guidance...my little spaz needs help!

Quoting Danesmommy1: Bump for Meanie Pants.

Or Foo might be able to help if she can untwist her panties, lol. (Hi Foo!!)
Rebirth0112
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Bump!
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

When she nips, say "Ow!" like it hurt really bad, and then leave her for a while. She'll get the connection soon enough. Pups learn acceptable play from their mom and littermates...apparently this one hasn't.

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Dec. 29, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Bump for you
Rebirth0112
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM
I have a feeling she may have been taken from her mom too soon, I got her when she was 9 weeks from a lady who had her but couldnt keep her anymore.

Eta: I should clarify the lady who I got her from didnt say when they got her, just that they couldnt keep her anymore. I think they git her not realizing how much work a puppy really is

Quoting OwlNuggets:

When she nips, say "Ow!" like it hurt really bad, and then leave her for a while. She'll get the connection soon enough. Pups learn acceptable play from their mom and littermates...apparently this one hasn't.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Dec. 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Insert yourself into the puppy mindset. She has to learn acceptable play by being taught how hard she can and cannot bite. By yipping and leaving her, it shows her that she bites too hard. I don't have experience with GS, but I was raised with wolf hybrids and huskies and we trained them in that manner and it worked every time.

Quoting Rebirth0112: I have a feeling she may have been taken from her mom too soon, I got her when she was 9 weeks from a lady who had her but couldnt keep her anymore.

Rebirth0112
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM
This might be a dumb question, but how do I ignore her? I have to monitor her constantly in the house, literally cannot take my eyes off her for 2 seconds. lol its like having a toddler all over again

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Insert yourself into the puppy mindset. She has to learn acceptable play by being taught how hard she can and cannot bite. By yipping and leaving her, it shows her that she bites too hard. I don't have experience with GS, but I was raised with wolf hybrids and huskies and we trained them in that manner and it worked every time.

Quoting Rebirth0112: I have a feeling she may have been taken from her mom too soon, I got her when she was 9 weeks from a lady who had her but couldnt keep her anymore.

j3st3r
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Are you walking her a lot?  GSD's need a lot of exercise, and the running line just might  not be cutting it. 

Can you give her a job?  My dad used to breed GSD's and he trained them like they were Search and Rescue, from a fairly young age. 

Do you have room to create a small obstacle course?  Like a ramp, tunnel, table to crawl under? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)