Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You don't have to build a bathroom just for me!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
My in-laws live in Mexico, very rural and poor part of Mexico although it is not far from a tourist area. DH and I have been together 11 years and I finally get to go visit!

They don't have much, they're kitchen is outside. It's basically a fire pit. They also don't have running water. They shower from water that comes down from a well I think. No hot water of course.

I grew up poor. But poor here is different than poor there. DH has been in the US for over a decade, and when he finally got to go back and visit them in May I think he had a bit of culture shock himself. He was 16 when he left there so I'm sure he remembered the way it was, but he was still bothered by it when he actually went down there. He told me I may get depressed the way he did, just seeing the difference in the way they live.

Anyway, we are going the end of next month. His mom and dad are building a bathroom before we get there so I will be more comfortable! I feel awful. I told them if they want a bathroom and can build one, that's great. We even sent money to help out. But don't build it for ME! I'm sure I will survive four days without a bathroom. I hope they don't think I am going to feel better than them or anything like that. Apparently Americans are rare in the area where they live.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM
I would want a bathroom .....
Smaug
by Book Worm on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:35 PM
I agree with you. Sure is sweet of them though, and what a neat experience that will be!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I do want a bathroom but I don't want them to go through the trouble just because I'll be there for a few days. But it will certainly be beneficial to them in the future! DH is going to get them a hot water heater while we're there.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would want a bathroom .....
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 28, 2014 at 9:58 PM
I can't imagine not having a bathroom, but you're right. I could never ask someone to build one just for me. I'd manage somehow, lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM
I am the type to take a hot shower every morning and put on makeup, fix my hair, all that. DH says I could still do that, it will just be different. I know it will be hard, but I'm looking forward to it!

Quoting Danesmommy1: I can't imagine not having a bathroom, but you're right. I could never ask someone to build one just for me. I'd manage somehow, lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
It is sweet and I think it will be a great experience, cold water and all lol

Quoting Smaug: I agree with you. Sure is sweet of them though, and what a neat experience that will be!
UmiFujii
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I think your positive attitude and accepting them as they are will make them very happy. I am sure you will enjoy the trip. I bet they will love you for being so sweet!

Quoting Anonymous 1: It is sweet and I think it will be a great experience, cold water and all lol
Quoting Smaug: I agree with you. Sure is sweet of them though, and what a neat experience that will be!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)