Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids and allowances

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM
  • 15 Replies
how old should a kid be to start getting an allowance? My kids are 6 and 8 and they are expected to help out around the house but I don't give them an allowance for it. When do you start and how much do you give them? Thanks for the advice!
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashiilolo
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM
I give my DDs an allowance of 5 bucks a week. They are 4 and 6. They must keep the play room and their rooms clean. They help with the dishwasher and putting away groceries. They help with laundry and any little thing I can think of.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Idon't. They do chores because they live here.

They are 14, 11 and 9
ShoeStrings
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Mine are 7 and 9 and they get a dollar a day IF they do things above and beyond their normal chores. They must go that extra mile to get the dollar. When they do, we mark it on a calendar and after a while I pay them. Last time I paid them was a few days ago, they had 15 dollars each saved up. DH's brother is 15 and I can't get him to do shit. He really only does the things I have to practically force him to do, so he gets nothing until he straightens up.
Twiceblessedmom
by Gold Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM
No allowances given here. They are 17 and almost 11. :-)
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM
I dont plan on giving allowances.
thetrollcat
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I dont pay my kids to clean up what they should be doing anyhow. I pay for good grades.

ohwrite
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I gave my children allowance when they started having regular chores. Yes I agree there are some things they should do just because they live there, but I think a regular allowance teaches children how to budget and handle money. There were things i no longer purchased for them once they got an allowance.

We also gave them the opportunity to earn extra money by doing extra chores. They knew however that if they were asked to do something in addition to their regular chores, and chores they were offered extra money for, that didn't mean they would always get paid, just as they don't pay me when they ask me to do something for them.

At that age I would start with a small regular allowance based on certain chores. Their rooms and their toys are their own responsibility to take care of without allowance, but household chores such as setting the table and taking out the trash would be chores that earned allowance. Additionally, whining and complaining could keep them from getting the allowance!

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I don't give allowances, I feel that they teach kids that they are entitled to something for doing things that they should be doing. My kids have chores and are expected to do them, they do not get paid for helping around their own house. If they want money, I can help them find real work. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Mine dont. But they are 6 and almost 4
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM

They get triple their age once per month but not for doing things that are expected of them. Their allowance is their fun and extras money. They can earn extra by doing extra chores or things. My youngest is the queen of earning extra money and then not spending a bit of it. She will maybe spend 5.00 a month and she gets 33 plus extras. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)