Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what is ssi and why does someone get it?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM
  • 3 Replies
?
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM
SSI is for those who don't work or have never worked (including children). It's got a set cap where as SSDI is based on years you've worked and what you've earned. SSI cap right now is $721 and will be $733 next year. People receive it when they are disabled, that can be a variety of conditions. It's also dependent upon your income.
caligirl7613
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Thank you I met someone who gets ssi and I was confused as to why, because I thought that's what older people get after they retire. She is 21 so I was very confused.

Quoting Anonymous 1: SSI is for those who don't work or have never worked (including children). It's got a set cap where as SSDI is based on years you've worked and what you've earned. SSI cap right now is $721 and will be $733 next year. People receive it when they are disabled, that can be a variety of conditions. It's also dependent upon your income.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:51 PM
I think SSI is more common in younger people than older. SSDI is more common in older people than younger.

Quoting caligirl7613: Thank you I met someone who gets ssi and I was confused as to why, because I thought that's what older people get after they retire. She is 21 so I was very confused.

Quoting Anonymous 1: SSI is for those who don't work or have never worked (including children). It's got a set cap where as SSDI is based on years you've worked and what you've earned. SSI cap right now is $721 and will be $733 next year. People receive it when they are disabled, that can be a variety of conditions. It's also dependent upon your income.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)