Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hope she learns that she shouldn't own pets!

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM
  • 19 Replies

My sister is a horrible pet owner.  She just doesn't care about them.  As a teenager, she wanted a dog.  Our mom took her down to the pound to adopt one.  He was constantly ignored, our mom ended up being the one to care for him, and my sister didn't bat an eye when our mom decided to rehome him.

Out of the same litter that my cat was born from, my sister wanted to keep a kitten.  She was small, had a severe underbite, and flea allergies.  Ignored her and didn't care when a new home was found for her.

The year I met my husband we went out of state for a family reunion.  On the way home a male cat jumped up in their car.  They figure he'd either been abandoned or snuck out during a stop because he was really friendly, neutered, and you could tell that he was well fed.  My sister claimed him as well.  She left him at our parents' house when she went back home (she was married).  Even when her marriage fell apart and she moved back home, she claimed him as her cat but didn't pay any attention to him.  When my mom threatened to take him to the pound, I decided to take him in.  She didn't even notice he was gone until more than 2 weeks later when I hosted dinner at our house and she saw him in the yard.

While living at our parents' house, she went to the pound and adopted a dog.  Constantly complained that he chewed on (and destroyed) everything, but didn't do anything to mitigate it.  Even when I gave her info, such as frequent walks, to try and help her.  She ended up getting rid of him because he was constantly chewing and digging holes.

Before getting rid of him, though, she bought a dog.  Let her outside to run and she got pregnant.  After having her puppies and weaning them, she disappeared.  Sis didn't seem to care.  She got rid of most of the puppies, but kept one.  At this time, she and her now husband were living 3 doors down from me.  They would let this pup run everywhere.  Never got him fixed.  I can't tell you how many times I was tempted to "teach them a lesson" about keeping their dog in their yard by calling animal control.  Right before we moved, somebody did call animal control and she had to go pick him up from the pound.

You would think she would have learned her lesson, yes?  Nope.  She moved and let this dog run.  Apparently, her new neighbors' 3 big dogs attacked him when he came onto their property.  Mangled his leg pretty bad and they thought they were going to lose him.  Now she says it looks like it's getting infected and has set up a Go Fund Me to pay to take him back in to see the vet.  Apparently, they had to take out a line of credit to take care of his leg after the attack and cannot afford to deal with this now.

I feel bad for the dog.  I really do.  However, all I can think is that this could have been avoided if they'd been responsible and kept their dog in their own damn yard!

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Loveiskind08
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM
That's so sad. I don't understand how some people don't seem capable of loving their pets. My husband and I adopted two small dogs 3 years ago and can't imagine not giving them the love and care they need.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd be tempted to slap your sister with vigor. Sorry but as an animal rescuer people like her disgust me. There really should be laws that prevent certain people from owning animals. 

ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:46 PM

It really does piss me off.  She has no business owning pets.  I had really hoped that she would have learned her lesson about letting him run free after she had to go collect him from the pound.  She's worried about how devastated her kids are gonna be if they lose him, but does nothing to make sure they get to keep him!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I'd be tempted to slap your sister with vigor. Sorry but as an animal rescuer people like her disgust me. There really should be laws that prevent certain people from owning animals. 

MyStarLight
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM
She sounds like my friend
She lost her 2dogs then found then not even a week later she post pics on fb and said
Dogs forsale make me an offer
Ppl caught on and told her didnt you lose then a few dats ago and was all sad and now you want to sell them
Ugh
They will never learn
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM
I would want to smack her and knock some sense into her head. Why keep getting animals if your arent going to take care of them the right way.
ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:56 PM

It is really, really sad because the ones who suffer are the animals.  At least with rehoming them, they have a shot at getting the love and attention that they need.  This poor pup has only known them and now might die because of their neglect.

Quoting MyStarLight: She sounds like my friend She lost her 2dogs then found then not even a week later she post pics on fb and said Dogs forsale make me an offer Ppl caught on and told her didnt you lose then a few dats ago and was all sad and now you want to sell them Ugh They will never learn

UmiFujii
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM

It seems she sees animals as decorations and not family members. No pet should ever have to endure that. I agree with you that she should not own a pet. Poor things.

ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I hate to say it, but I'm torn between wishing he will pull through and hoping he doesn't so he doesn't have to endure the neglect anymore.  If they lose him, they'll just be getting another one.  What is worse is that they're working on building a homestead.

Quoting UmiFujii:

It seems she sees animals as decorations and not family members. No pet should ever have to endure that. I agree with you that she should not own a pet. Poor things.

UmiFujii
by Silver Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:30 PM

:( Poor baby...this makes me very sad. I love my pets and they are family...

Quoting ncbirdie:

I hate to say it, but I'm torn between wishing he will pull through and hoping he doesn't so he doesn't have to endure the neglect anymore.  If they lose him, they'll just be getting another one.  What is worse is that they're working on building a homestead.

Quoting UmiFujii:

ncbirdie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

So are mine.  I'll admit, I've rehomed animals that weren't a good fit for our family.  Animals  have their own personalities and not all pet personalities mesh well with all human personalities.  Our oldest dog my husband had when I met him; he was about 6 months old at the time, so he's about 8 years old now.  The next oldest puppy we got when DS was 3 months old and he seemed to be about 3 months old, so he's 6 1/2 now.  We just had to put down my kitty at 9 due to cancer.  And we have a bunny that we took in because her family moved and didn't take her.  I think she's about 2 1/2 now.

Quoting UmiFujii:

:( Poor baby...this makes me very sad. I love my pets and they are family...

Quoting ncbirdie:

Quoting UmiFujii:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)