Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Über needy cat

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Don't get me wrong she is the sweetest cat ever. Not to mention spectacularly beautiful. I'll try to snap and share a pic. I am her third human companion. The first two were iffy at best.  At one home she was locked in a bedroom alone.  She's always been timid, hard to get close to.

Current problem is that she has grown close enough to want our attention, but we can't go to her, she must always come to us. Her pattern is sleeping for a few hours (lately on the furniture rather than under it, hallelujah) and when she wakes she meows...LOUD!  She starts where she woke up, meows until she is on the floor next to one of us and then continues until we either reach down and pet her, or coax her up and pet her. 

Im fine with this most of the time. But it happens twice a night during sleeping hours. I awake when she starts to meow, I listen until she's next to the bed, then I have to take the time to coax her up on the bed to cuddle and go back to sleep. Shit...I breastfed and co-slept so I never had to do that with my human child. Now I'm up twice a night with my fur baby. Any suggestions?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Get rid of her. A cat is not going to ruin my sleep
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:02 AM

How old is she? Is she spayed?

csxt99
by Jennifer on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM

It sounds like she is slowly warming up to you. Once she feels more comfortable, this may stop on its own. If not, you just might have to deal with it as part of how she is. Good luck!

DaBuzz
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Shut your door at night? She'll cry the first night or two but we did that with both of our rescue cats and they're absolutely fine now, thriving actually. Set up her own bed with catnip so she feels likes it's her home. If you can't stand her meowing at night, get earplugs or a noise machine or fan to drown her out.

I cannot sleep with animals in my bed so it's the only option for me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Pets are not disposable. They are other sentient beings with whom we chose to share our lives. And if you're lucky, they chose to spend their life with you. Would you get rid of a kid who woke you twice a night?  Even if they were a teen and 'knew better'?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Get rid of her. A cat is not going to ruin my sleep

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Three-ish, best guess. And yes. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:14 AM
An animal is not the same as a person. I can't stand how people treat animals better then other people

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Pets are not disposable. They are other sentient beings with whom we chose to share our lives. And if you're lucky, they chose to spend their life with you. Would you get rid of a kid who woke you twice a night?  Even if they were a teen and 'knew better'?

Quoting Anonymous 2: Get rid of her. A cat is not going to ruin my sleep

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I would lock her out of your bedroom & think about getting another cat. They usually like company of other cats. Otherwise talk to your vet.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Three-ish, best guess. And yes. 

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:32 AM

I think locking her out would defeat the purpose. Since I had my son, I'm a very,light  sleeper and she just keeps meowing louder until she gets petted. I think another cat might help, but I'll be driving cross country to Boston in June, as a permanent and she'll be handful enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)