Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL claims I'm "ruining my marriage"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 126 Replies

because I 'allow' my 16yo to sit in the front seat on car trips longer than half an hour long with DH while I sit in the back with my other children. She gets both anxiety and motion sickness and if she begins to feel motion sick she has a panic attack - causing her to vomit, causing her to feel more sick, etc. It's a cycle. It's easier for us all (6 of us in total) for her to sit in the front, where she doesn't get sick, than in the back. We visited MIL this week during holidays and as we were arriving I saw her glare at DD in the front but didn't think anything of it. That night DD and DH went to go and get fish and chips (cause you need a second person to hold it) and MIL insisted on DS5 going along 'for the ride'. After they left; MIL cornered me and told me I was ruining my marriage by allowing the 'child' to sit where the woman of the house should sit; and I'm giving her idea's that she can "take my place". Apparently I should let DD puke all over the back seat (well into a bucket) to prove a point to her, instead of having a better solution for everyone. So - would you "allow" your child to "take your spot" for any reason? Or do you believe - like MIL - that children are to remain in the 'children's spot' at all cost? 

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:38 AM
9 moms liked this

MIL needs to mind her own freaking business

Next time throw MIL in the trunk and go riding on a dirt rode in the mountains. I bet she never says shit to you again, lol

sam12796
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I think your MIL is acting a bit stupid. In no way does that say "I'm ruining my marriage and leading my daughter to believe she can replace me!" I see it as a caring set of parents doing the right thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Ick... Your DD taking your place with your husband. That just sounds off.

I don't see anything wrong with DD sitting in the front. It's a car ride.
csxt99
by Jennifer on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:40 AM

In your case, I would beg for her to sit in the front seat. Ever since I had my second kid, I do not handle puke well at all.

AppleJaxx
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:41 AM
..... Tell her to eff off!
lollip0p
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:41 AM

No, she's being ridiculous. I'd be more concerned if you felt so threatened by your dd that you refused to give up your almighty powerful front seat. MIL needs to get a hobby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I forgot to add that DH is her stepdad. But he's been around since she was 5 so it's second nature for all of us to forget that he didn't help make her.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Ick... Your DD taking your place with your husband. That just sounds off.

I don't see anything wrong with DD sitting in the front. It's a car ride.
baileyquarters
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Poor thing. Motion sickness is horrible. Have you tried Sea Bands for her? I swear by them. You can get them at Walgreen's or CVS. I also like a motion sickness oil I found mixed with lavender and peppermint. I've used them together.
teapartydiva524
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:43 AM
9 moms liked this

Take your MIL on a road trip with the two of them in the back seat and see how she likes the vomit. lol

baileyquarters
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:44 AM
I don't see how seating arrangements in the car is going to affect your marriage.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)