Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cafe mom medical people question

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:59 AM
  • 12 Replies
I will be 2 weeks post op from a mastectomy Thursday and still have 2 drains (had 4). Not long after taking out one of my drains yesterday I noticed that the drain still in on that same side started hurting every now and then (sharp stabby pain at times). I know it's the drain and not the expander cause I can feel where it is when I strip the tube. The drain hasn't quite got to were they want to with draining but It is getting close and is clear. It's hurting like hell at times and was wondering if it might be worth the call tomorrow to see about it or just wait till my Monday appointment?

I'm ready for this shit to be over :-(
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
seaformee
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:01 AM
Call tomorrow. It shouldn't be hurting like that. But I've heard the expanders can be really painful sometimes.

I'm sorry you're having to go through all this :(((
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:03 AM
I have no idea

Bump for help!

P.S. feel better soon.
bellawomen
by Summer on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I would definitely be calling. I'm a nurse, but only a new nurse and not familiar with post-op. A call, even just to free your mind and put you at ease, is worth it.
balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:11 AM
I would call, even just to give yourself peace of mind. You shouldn't be in pain, especially since Monday isn't the day after tomorrow.
Elyce225
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Call tomorrow for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlbelknap35
by Jessica on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:26 AM
Thanks, ya I am half tempted on calling my sister in law. She is a pre op cormon (navy nurse) not post op but she might know. She will be here for New Years tomorrow too, so if they won't maybe she might can help. If it wasnt for the fact the office is closed after tomorrow it wouldn't be a big deal but I can tell where the tubes are. I saw them too and they are not small :-/.

Quoting bellawomen: I would definitely be calling. I'm a nurse, but only a new nurse and not familiar with post-op. A call, even just to free your mind and put you at ease, is worth it.
jlbelknap35
by Jessica on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:27 AM
Ya holidays suck for this kinda shit :-(

Quoting balagan_imma: I would call, even just to give yourself peace of mind. You shouldn't be in pain, especially since Monday isn't the day after tomorrow.
bellawomen
by Summer on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Small tubes occlude easier.  Hopefully your sister-in-law can offer better advice.  I am surprised your doctor didn't give you an after-hours number.  :(  If you call an ER they will just tell you to come in as precaution.

Did your drain come out on it's own or was it taken out by your doctor?  I would find someone to call tomorrow, otherwise it might be worth a trip to an ER to get checked out.  Urgent Care likely wouldn't treat you since you are post-op.

Sending you positive thoughts.  *hugs*

Quoting jlbelknap35: Thanks, ya I am half tempted on calling my sister in law. She is a pre op cormon (navy nurse) not post op but she might know. She will be here for New Years tomorrow too, so if they won't maybe she might can help. If it wasnt for the fact the office is closed after tomorrow it wouldn't be a big deal but I can tell where the tubes are. I saw them too and they are not small :-/.
Quoting bellawomen: I would definitely be calling. I'm a nurse, but only a new nurse and not familiar with post-op. A call, even just to free your mind and put you at ease, is worth it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Def call tomorrow. It might be nothing but it might be something serious and you don't want to take that chance over the holiday.

Oh and if you develop a fever, go do the ER

jlbelknap35
by Jessica on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:44 AM
It's military so things are a bit different. I have an after hours but like my oncology number it probably tells me just to go to the ER and can't give medical advice over the phone :-/. My last 2 tubes were taken out by the doctors nurse. The one I'm talking about isn't out just bugging me big time from the inside out.

Quoting bellawomen:

Small tubes occlude easier.  Hopefully your sister-in-law can offer better advice.  I am surprised your doctor didn't give you an after-hours number.  :(  If you call an ER they will just tell you to come in as precaution.

Did your drain come out on it's own or was it taken out by your doctor?  I would find someone to call tomorrow, otherwise it might be worth a trip to an ER to get checked out.  Urgent Care likely wouldn't treat you since you are post-op.

Sending you positive thoughts.  *hugs*

Quoting jlbelknap35: Thanks, ya I am half tempted on calling my sister in law. She is a pre op cormon (navy nurse) not post op but she might know. She will be here for New Years tomorrow too, so if they won't maybe she might can help. If it wasnt for the fact the office is closed after tomorrow it wouldn't be a big deal but I can tell where the tubes are. I saw them too and they are not small :-/.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)