Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At a loss for what to do...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

I have two kids, ages 17 and 35. They're 19 years apart. I had my oldest dd when I was 17, and raised her on my own. When my oldest dd was in college I didn't have a lot of money to put her through college, as I was still in nursing school and was working as much as I could to pay rent, bills,ect. I did pay for some with her college fund, but she did have to pay for half or so. A few months later I met my current dh and we had my second dd. Fast forward and youngest dd is 17 and just got accepted into college. When oldest dd found out at Christmas she asked if dh and I were paying and when we said yes she went off saying how she got the short end of the stick with everything, how youngest dd got the best of everything and had the better childhood. She said that I either needed to make things fair and pay for only half like I did with her or reimburse her for what she paid and make things equal. I told her that I was sorry that I couldn't give her everything she wanted when she was young, but she always had what she needed and I always tried my hardest. Now she's not speaking to me and says she won't until she recieves a check or gets news youngest dd is paying for part of her college. I'm just not sure what to do.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacey541
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:43 AM
Wow, what a brat. She needs to get over it-at 35 she should be able to understand situations are different.
SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:43 AM

tell her that life is not always fair and that she needs to get over it. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:44 AM
Jealousy and entitlement. How ridiculous of her to make such demands.
DanaG70
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Smack the stupid out of her? I don't know...

Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Tell her to quit acting like a little brat, and ask her father for his half of her college money.

BeAmour
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:47 AM

I'd let my oldest continue throwing a tantrum and just leave her alone until she stops pouting.

If she can't be grateful for you helping with at least a portion of her college and you working so hard to make sure she has what she needed growing up, then she can just put herself in a the corner for a while.

Go ahead and pay for the younger kids college. Your eldest shouldn't have a say.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:48 AM
You raised her. Congrats. You fail at parenting.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:48 AM

Life isn't fair. You did what you could .....with what you had.

Unless  you are willing to give her all the money she spent on college.....I don't see what else you can do to make it fair....according to her

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:49 AM
I can see how she'd find this to be unfair..
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this
She's 35.

Tell her to kick rocks.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)