Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom's who use essential oils +Sleepless Toddler

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
My 17 month hasn't slept well since she was 6 months old. She does occasionally have night terrors. They started when she got her 6 month shots. She also has nightmares and teething pain.

I've tried everything if can think of and she still wakes up fussing 2-6 times nightly.

She has teething tablets, we give her infant ibuprofen if needed, she sleeps on a mattress next to us, still bfs, eats well during the day, has a routine.....

Anyways, a friend of mine suggested looking into essential oils. Specifically, lavender and chamomile.

Did you find that using essential oils helped your child sleep? How much of a difference? If I choose to use them what do I need to know in advance?

Thanks!!!
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Tirado
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Try lavender oil and if you want to try a tea try camomile tea. Maybe if you look real hard you can find the camomile oil.
sorcha1945
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:34 AM
Lavender or cedarwood.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:34 AM
I've been reading up on it. Do you just massage it on the bottom of their feet? And how much?

Quoting Mrs.Tirado: Try lavender oil and if you want to try a tea try camomile tea. Maybe if you look real hard you can find the camomile oil.
Mrs.Tirado
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:37 AM
I'm an island girl and many older folks say that soursop leaf puts babies to sleep if you use it as tea. But I'm assuming you can't get a hold of a soursop tree or leaves.
bellawomen
by Summer on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this

You should always dilute essential oils, especially on children.  And no matter what any company says, please do not consume them orally.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:42 AM
What can I use to dilute them? Is the bottom of her feet the safest place to apply? How often?

I was planning to order lavender and chamomile oil but I wanted to get some info first.

Quoting bellawomen:

You should always dilute essential oils, especially on children.  And no matter what any company says, please do not consume them orally.

Yellow_Lileigh
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:44 AM
Friends of mine have tried lavender essential oil in a diffuser in their child's room at night and swear by it. That way you're starting off by having them simply inhale it in the room instead of having it come in contact with their skin. A good starting place for beginners.

And to echo what others have said, always dilute essential oils, especially when using them for children. And do not allow a child to consume them.

ETA: Here's a good article on using essential oils for children. In addition to the diffuser it also mentions putting a few drops into a bedtime bath.

http://www.aromathyme.com/kidstips.html
nahlielove
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Lavender is calming, even just the scent. You can use a diffuser in the room with lavender oil or a scentsy (I have the warmer but use the buddies or the scent pak in the kids rooms. As far as chamomile, I would make tea. I started giving my baby 2 Oz. Of chamomile tea at six months. She is seventeen months now and she gets six ounces at bedtime. Soothes the tummy and calms her down.
Mrs.Tirado
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:46 AM
You just use Little And make sure you rub it on the sole of the feet as well as the back of the ear;Feel for the beginning of the jawline...that's where you should rub. Just to be safe try mixing a little water with the oil. Just a little. Some kids breakout so mixing a little water helps.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've been reading up on it. Do you just massage it on the bottom of their feet? And how much?

Quoting Mrs.Tirado: Try lavender oil and if you want to try a tea try camomile tea. Maybe if you look real hard you can find the camomile oil.
Mrs.Tirado
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:47 AM
1 mom liked this
You just use Little And make sure you rub it on the sole of the feet as well as the back of the ear;Feel for the beginning of the jawline...that's where you should rub. Just to be safe try mixing a little water with the oil. Just a little. Some kids breakout so mixing a little water helps.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I've been reading up on it. Do you just massage it on the bottom of their feet? And how much?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)