Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cafemom doctors and nurses come in here

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Why would the er prescribe me nexium for pancreas problems. I went in there last night and explained to them that I have a tumor on my pancreas and that they did an ercp and cleaned out my bile duct over thanksgiving. I changed my entire diet cause they had said it would help with the pain. It has but I still randomly get severe pain. After hydrocodone and ibuprophen didn't help me i went to the er. They just gave me a super strong pain medicine through iv, that made my chest feel lile it was caving in and after I wasn't seeing double and I was able to walk without assistance they released me.

They prescribed me tylenol with codene for the pain and nexium. I got the tylenol cause it was only $10 but I haven't gotten the nexium cause 7 pills was going to be $73. Just wanted to know if anyone could help me figure out why I was prescribed nexium if I don't have heartburn
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not a doctor so I don't know why they would do this, but, I also don't know why they wouldn't tell you Nexium can be bought over the counter.  It's only half the prescription strength but it's WAY cheaper!  

csxt99
by Jennifer on Dec. 31, 2014 at 5:03 AM

www.netdoctor.co.uk/digestive-health/medicines/nexium.html

This is a site I found, but it doesn't really say why it is used. Do you have Zollinger-Ellison syndrome? That is mentioned in the information on this site.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 5:17 AM
Well I know its a proton pump inhibitor, maybe that's why
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 5:18 AM

I haven't heard of it being used for anything other than heartburn.  $73 for 7 heartburn tablets?!?  That should be criminal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:07 AM
That's exactly what I told the pharmacy. I asked if they had a generic and they said nope, no generic.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

I haven't heard of it being used for anything other than heartburn.  $73 for 7 heartburn tablets?!?  That should be criminal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:13 AM
Not that I have been told

Quoting csxt99:

www.netdoctor.co.uk/digestive-health/medicines/nexium.html

This is a site I found, but it doesn't really say why it is used. Do you have Zollinger-Ellison syndrome? That is mentioned in the information on this site.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:15 AM
Really?!? Thank you for telling me. Do you know if walmart would have it?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I'm not a doctor so I don't know why they would do this, but, I also don't know why they wouldn't tell you Nexium can be bought over the counter.  It's only half the prescription strength but it's WAY cheaper!  

Racer15
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:16 AM
It decreases the production of stomach acids, which are sometimes thought to lead to more frequent flare-ups.
TaralynnStewart
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:21 AM
Nexium could be bought over the counter. Search online for $10 off coupon.

I was suggested Nexium when I was having issues with my stomach a few yrs back
TheRingmaster
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:25 AM
Get OTC Zantac. If you cannot afford the Nexium. I take it but that's because I don't have a sphincter on my esophagus.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)