Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if someone you knew had been drinking was about to drive home from your party?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Or even if it wasn't your party, if you saw it happening at a party you were attending?  How far would you go to stop them?  Physically force them to hand over the keys?  If all else failed, and they still insisted on driving home, would you call the police?  

I've been in that situation before, and it was awful.  It was a friend of my BIL's.  They had been drinking beer all night and had also been smoking marijuana.  I did everything short of calling the cops.  I would have, but BIL and DH told me not to and that he was a grown man and could deal with the consequences.  That is total b.s. though, because he was putting other innocent people at risk.  If something had gone wrong, I never would have forgiven myself.    Today being New Year's Eve, a day where plenty of drinking and partying will be going on, I was wondering how you all would react.  

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tinybluemoon
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:49 AM

I'd take there keys by force if I had to. What are they going to do, call the cops and complain that I won't let them drive drunk? LOL, call the cops dude.

And yes, I would call the cops. He was not the only person on the road who he could of injured.

LawNOrderMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:51 AM
I have and possibly will again physically force a person to hand over their keys if they are inebriated. Drunk driving is horribly dangerous and the drunk driver is actually less at risk of injury or death than the other potential victims. Buzzed driving IS drunk driving, a "little buzz" still massively changes your cognitive ability to respond to outside stimuli. I have zero tolerance for those who drive inebriated be it from alcohol or drugs.
Cmgmqmmom
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:52 AM
If there was someone that was obviously intoxicated, I'd attempt to reason with them to stay over or take a taxi home. I'd offer to help them get their car the next day and even pay for the cab.
If they refused my kind offer, I'd tell them I was going to call the cops.
Driving drunk is inexcusable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Let them. It's not my business.
lifeisajoy
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:59 AM

I would stop them as much as I can or call police. My friend almost died and in a coma and has forever pain due to a damn drunk driver

susannah2000
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:01 AM

Take their keys, call them a cab, or call the police. They are far more danger to others on the road than they are to themselves. In some states people who let others drive drunk are held legally liable, which I think is wrong.

csxt99
by Jennifer on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:27 AM

I wouldn't serve alcohol at my house. I think if alcohol is going to be served, the keys need to be given to the host or hostess of the party when the guests arrive. It's easier to deal with someone sober than a pissed-off drunk. While they're sober, they have a shot at logical thinking. 

TaylorMom814
by Emily on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:31 AM
DH has a friend that was bad about this. Would promise he was spending the night then try to leave instead. They got in a physical fight one night and he still left. I told him he should have called the cops. He isn't invited over anymore since he can't be responsible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)