Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have a non-american accent...

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:09 AM
  • 48 Replies

Do your kids fall into it on certain words?

DH has an English accent, I have a bastardized accent that is half way between Irish and Australian, and even though my kids generally have an American accent on certain words and conjunctions they will fall almost into an Irish accent. It doesn't affect their pronunciation, but it is always highly entertaining.  

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Yes. DH has an Arabic accent. DD says some words like him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:12 AM

When my kids say arabic words, some type of accent suddenly appears lol. 

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:12 AM
My mom is originally from England & has been here since 1968 & it actually happens with her & it's hilarious.
ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
How's Australia? I'd think you were too busy to worry about American accents when you are in the land of Australian accents.

Still waiting on those pics.
bcoll
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM
The older kids have mostly outgrown it but the younger ones slip into Greek words and my husband's accent when frustrated or excited. My 4 year old daughter still can't say our last name except in the Greek way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:18 AM
What is an American accent? We have N, S, E & W states. They all speak differently.
Sydel
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:20 AM

I was raised by my Spanish speaking mom and grandma. I do say some words with an accident. But am very aware and usually catch myself or slow down when I know I'm using those words.

My dh is an American and neither of his parents have an accent YET when he's drinking and ONLY when he's drinking he starts talking with a southern drawl. It's hilarious no one knows where he got it. My youngest does it sometimes too.

tinybluemoon
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:21 AM

So does every country in the world, but at the base they are all the same. Chuck em on a television show next to a Brit, a German, and a Russian nobody is going to have any trouble distinguishing the American no matter which corner you hail from.

Quoting Anonymous 1: What is an American accent? We have N, S, E & W states. They all speak differently.

Sydel
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Very true. I have a friend from Boston. When she's upset or excited I can barely understand her.

Quoting Anonymous 1: What is an American accent? We have N, S, E & W states. They all speak differently.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Southerners don't speak like New Yorkers so I don't get you. We don't all sound the same. "American accent" makes no sense.That was my point

Quoting tinybluemoon:

So does every country in the world, but at the base they are all the same. Chuck em on a television show next to a Brit, a German, and a Russian nobody is going to have any trouble distinguishing the American no matter which corner you hail from.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)