Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Everybody else loves them, but I HATE them!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:14 AM
  • 26 Replies

I know everybody else loves cubbies for organizing kids toys, but I have started to HATE them!  Oh, I have them all over my house too, but they are aweful! I read something that said that it should be harder to take toys out than to put them away.  Well, with cubbies and bins that isn't the case.  Cleaning up after a child has dumped every one out is a pain, because you also want to organize them.  I think anything with drawers is so much better!  Drawers cannot be taken out and drug all over the house, then dumped.  They also tend to be less deep, which means that kids can usually see all the way to the bottom without having to empty the whole thing out to find what they want.  Plus, I think a dresser would probably take up less space than most cubbies.  If you want to organize the drawers, you can still put in drawer seperators.  I am trying to get all the cubbies out of my house now.  I am so sick of them!  What do you think?  Do you still love cubbies or do you agree that they are overated?

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.PinkSunshine.
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:14 AM
I don't think about them ever.
dommad2
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:17 AM
Lol i still love cubbies! We have a 1 cubby a5 a time rule though.

I use them everywhere. Kids toys, kids closet, living room
Sunshines0214
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
We did bins, but one at a time ( unless they went together) . We didn't dump another unless the other was cleaned up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Clear bins are the best I believe. That's what DD as for her toys in her bedroom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:21 AM

i don't see an issue with the cubby.... my kid has to pick up his toys he isn't playing with before he can get different toys out. So he would pull one of the bins out and have to put it back. and if he dumped more than one he had to clean it all up then he wasn't allowed to play with the bins anymore he had to go read.

spooky415
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this
I get really worked up trying to organize them bc I start to overthink the categories.
polkaspots
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:23 AM
We have cubbies. Some of the cubbies have bins, some have boxes and some are shelves.
Personally I prefer shelves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TomiiM
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:09 AM

lol  Yeah, I had them everywhere too.  They aren't bad in the closets or in the garage, but I hate them for toys.  I am not good at enforcing the one toy at a time rule.  I am just not that into watching my dd so closely, especially now that she is 6 and her toys are all in her room.  The worst is when she has friends over and they literally take out EVERY toy.  

Quoting dommad2: Lol i still love cubbies! We have a 1 cubby a5 a time rule though. I use them everywhere. Kids toys, kids closet, living room

TomiiM
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I'm just not good at enforcing that rule, for me it's a pick your battles kind of thing.  If she's playing nicely in her room, I don't bother her.  She has to clean up all her toys, but they are a pain for her to clean up too.  

Quoting Anonymous 2:

i don't see an issue with the cubby.... my kid has to pick up his toys he isn't playing with before he can get different toys out. So he would pull one of the bins out and have to put it back. and if he dumped more than one he had to clean it all up then he wasn't allowed to play with the bins anymore he had to go read.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM

We dont keep toys all over the house. They are in DS's bedroom. If he wants to play in the living room, he can bring some, but not all and has to pick them up when he's done. He only has a few bucket type things that slide into a shelf. They are for his legos and a few other things. All his other toys go in a big toy box. I dont see the point of having a seperate cubby for everything. Kids mix them up anyways and I sure in the hell and not going to sit there and seperate them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)