Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the big deal about drinking with your kids home?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM
  • 61 Replies
3 moms liked this
I see post after post about drinking with your kids home and many saying you shouldn't ever. Um...excuse me, I'm a freaking adult and I can drink whenever the hell I want. I'm not a sorority girl playing beer pong and drinking till I'm hugging the toilet all night. So what if I want to drink in my own home. And so what of my kids see. Chances are pretty good they are going to drink as adults so if they see is doing it responsibly then that's not a bad thing. People are always going to abuse something and they are going to hear about it. At least we are showing them a responsible example to follow should they decide to drink when they are old enough, and if they don't then great.
There are some major uptight people here.
Also I DO NOT INCLUDE PEOPLE WHO SUFFER FROM ADDICTION OR JUST DONT LIKE DRINKING. Although you still need to teach your kids though that there can be responsible drinking, that not everyone who drinks is a puking drunk.
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jblb
by Emerald Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
We drink in front of our kids. I don't know anyone who doesn't.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM
I think most people occasionally drink in front of the kids.
APunchInTheFace
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM
I drink a few times a week with my kids home. We don't get drunk, but we do like to have a few.

My kids see us drink, as well as I saw my dad drink (on occasion) when growing up.

I don't see the big deal, and what other people do in their home is not my business, nor do I even care, so why should others care what I'm doing in my home?

Sd also has a few drinks in our home as well as at her mothers (and other families) homes.
kmeow
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM
I agree that some women take it too far. I don't think you should never drink around kids, but I don't think it's appropriate to get totally drunk around kids, and I also think that there should always be at least one non-drinking adult who can drive a car present in the event of an emergency, but that's me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:41 AM
We don't drink because of alcoholism in our family. We really try to avoid too many get togethers with alcohol. Luckily my kids refuse to drink.

Every family is different...
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Dh and I have no issue drinking at home. Whether it be a party we are hosting, or just us playing cards, or sitting by the pool Etc. And I'm with jblb.I don't know anyone who never has a drink because their kids are around.
cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

To me, the problem isn't drinking in front of the kids. It is drinking to the point where you (general you) are not in full possession of your faculties, when you do not have someone else taking care of your children. IMO, there should always be an adult in charge that is completely sober.

DaBuzz
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I have drinks in front of my kids, they need to see how to do it responsibly.

My only beef is with the ones that get shit-faced drunk, puking, passing out. It's NOT responsible, even IF there is another adult there to take care of the kids.

mommaofALT
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I agree. I drink with my kids in the house. I drink when they are awake and can see me! To me, a glass or two of wine or a beer or two or even a mixed drink with them around isn't a big deal. I never get shitfaced with my kids around (actually.. I don't get shitfaced anymore because it is just no fun). I think the best way to teach kids how to be responsible with drinking it to model responisble behavior. If we go out to dinner,  my husband may get a drink and then I am the one that drives. Or I might get a drink then he drives. They see that we NEVER drink and then drive.

momofthem311
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I honestly don't either. Just seems like so many here are so against it.
When I visited my sister a few years back, we had a huge party with all of their friends and ALL of the their friends kids and their own and mine. There were a ton of kids and we made sure they were looked after and had things to do while we drank and ate and hung out. Everyone had a blast!

Quoting Jblb: We drink in front of our kids. I don't know anyone who doesn't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)