Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal for a Pediatrician?

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:09 AM
  • 231 Replies
1 mom liked this

It has just seemed that the Ped we were assigned to was always telling me to cut down on the amount of breastmilk DD gets.  At her 6 month checkup, they wanted/suggested her eat more baby food and cut back on the milk.  She even said that "formula probably tastes better anyway".  WTF?  My DD eats a LOT! (40 oz of breastmilk a day, plus baby food.)  If it's not broken, and she's thriving why do you want to throw in a wrench or make it seem like breastmilk is a bad thing?  We have a different doctor for our next visit. 

I know everyone's baby is different, but considering it's helped keep her from getting sick when my husband was miserable for a couple of weeks after his flu "mist"; it just supprises me that a Dr. would seem to "look down" on giving her breastmilk. (When she was too young for the flu vaccine.)  What do you ladies think?  Have you had a Dr. tell you this? 

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:11 AM
23 moms liked this
I'd be questioning their competence. What doctor pushes formula in this day and age?! If you like her in all other aspects, I'd just ignore that "advice", and keep seeing them. If she has given other bad advice, I'd seek a new doctor for my kids
whattheheck85
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Maybe (I don't know) he was concerned about the amount she was drinking--it was taking place of food?  I know that DS would want to keep drinking...to the point he would get sick.  I agree, the taste comment is weird.  DId you ask him why he said those things?

GCM
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:13 AM

We have a different Dr. for our next appointment.  We've been doing our own thing still.  Even her in home day care provider, who's watched babies for years says she eats more than any other baby she's ever watched.

Quoting Anonymous: I'd be questioning their competence. What doctor pushes formula in this day and age?! If you like her in all other aspects, I'd just ignore that "advice", and keep seeing them. If she has given other bad advice, I'd seek a new doctor for my kids

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:14 AM
30 moms liked this

A dr that pushes formula when the child is thriving on breast milk is not one i would trust for the big decisions. 

GCM
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Except for her first and last feedings, she gets baby food first, then milk.  Yeah, I thought the comment was wierd.  I kept my inner "you're an idiot" to myself though.  I just wanted to get away from the Dr.  Also, formula smells nasty!  I would assume it also doesn't taste that great either, but I'd rather not try my theory.

Quoting whattheheck85:

Maybe (I don't know) he was concerned about the amount she was drinking--it was taking place of food?  I know that DS would want to keep drinking...to the point he would get sick.  I agree, the taste comment is weird.  DId you ask him why he said those things?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this
My youngest daughter is like that. My eldest eats whenever, my youngest is a little piggy! But she has leveled out in toddlerhood. She is a very healthy weight. I'm sure your baby is fine. People want to shove kids into little boxes and keep them on perfect charts.. but kids don't always go along with that.. and it's ok.

Quoting GCM:

We have a different Dr. for our next appointment.  We've been doing our own thing still.  Even her in home day care provider, who's watched babies for years says she eats more than any other baby she's ever watched.

Quoting Anonymous: I'd be questioning their competence. What doctor pushes formula in this day and age?! If you like her in all other aspects, I'd just ignore that "advice", and keep seeing them. If she has given other bad advice, I'd seek a new doctor for my kids

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Is your baby perhaps chunky? That could be why they are saying to cut back on the feeding. 

SuckIt69
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I would just smile and nod and ignore everything he said. What an idiot.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Is it a group practice where you just get luck of the draw or can you stick with one doctor? If you like the new doctor that would be great, but otherwise I would be looking around for a new practice.
whattheheck85
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I have no idea.  My DS was not thriving on BM (due to a medical issue and I had a mass removed from under the nipple when I was in my 20s and I couldn't produce enough). We tried as long as we could before starting supplementation.  But I can't see our pedi saying anything like that!  Are there outher docs in the practice?

Quoting GCM:

Except for her first and last feedings, she gets baby food first, then milk.  Yeah, I thought the comment was wierd.  I kept my inner "you're an idiot" to myself though.  I just wanted to get away from the Dr.  Also, formula smells nasty!  I would assume it also doesn't taste that great either, but I'd rather not try my theory.

Quoting whattheheck85:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)