Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be offended?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 186 Replies
1 mom liked this

My sister is going to visit Ireland so I thought I would buy her a guide book for the holidays.  I'm vegetarian and liked this book which was a green guide which had information on vegetarian food, but that also had great and detailed descriptions of attractions and tours.  So I thought it was in a win win in that I was helping support a green guide and she would get great detailed descriptions.  But I just found this email in my inbox from her saying it was inconsiderate of me to get her a book focused on vegetarian food (but there is really so much more to the book than that) and how I'm always all about me.  Should I apologize to my sister?  Should I get her another gift?  

To clarify and since I find myself repeating the same thing over and over: The book only has one chapter on vegetarian food out of about 8 or 9 chapters.  It is not a book focused only on vegetarian food.  If you want to see for yourself that this is true it is called the Kaufman Green Guide Dublin.  

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
An0nym0use
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:27 PM
4 moms liked this
You were pushing your personal agenda onto her.
Her reaction was ridiculous, but I can understand why she's pissed. I have a feeling she deals with it a lot.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:28 PM
5 moms liked this
Oh Lord... she needs to get over it and be grateful for the gift.
TheRingmaster
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
She's an asshat. A gift should be taken graciously and never over analyzed or insulted.
APunchInTheFace
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
She sounds ungrateful!!!

I'd never buy her another gift ever!!!! Lol
Mandymb
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
If she's not a vegetarian I don't think you should have bought her that particular one.
tinybluemoon
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not easily offended but I admit I would be a bit PO'd.I won't see it the way you meant it. I would see it as you using an exciting event in my life to push your own agenda on me.
hashtagRC
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't apologize nor would I get her anything else. I would explain what you just did here. My sister is into all kinds of weird shit, got me a vegetarian cook book (which I use btw), got me some organic green eating book for the babies (not making homemade baby food, but I do use it for snacks and such)... I never felt like she was inconsiderate. Just trying to throw a little health our way, and I thanked her for it.
MilkLover0203
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Personally, I wouldn't buy a book for someone that had no relevance to them, but I wouldn't make a big deal if someone got me a book I didn't need.
CookiMakinMomma
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:31 PM
If she's not a vegetarian I wouldn't have gotten her a vegetarian book. There are other types with descriptions that are just as great. She definitely made a big deal out of it though. I'd apologize but I wouldn't get her something else.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Very true.  I don't like every gift I get, but I always try to fake like I do.  

Quoting TheRingmaster: She's an asshat. A gift should be taken graciously and never over analyzed or insulted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)