Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have a nanny for your kids......

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

How do you handle letting the nanny disclipline the kids?  In our house, both DH and I use gentle disclipline.....my oldest is only three.  He is a good kid but needs redirection sometimes.....disclipline we use that works are sending him to his room for a few minutes, taking a "break" and sitting down for a few minutes if he hits his brother or something.....and once or twice we have taken away ipad priveleges for something serious.  We don't spank and try not to yell (yes I slip sometimes).  In a few months I'm going to have a nanny helping me out with my two oldest for about six months; I'll have a newborn and I'll need some help to make sure that the older kiddo's lives aren't disrupted.  I assume that the kiddos will get into a little bit of trouble, so my question is, when you have a babysitter or nanny do you handle the disclipline or allow them to?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 3:20 PM
this decision should be addressed when you interview your nanny. The majority of nannies I interviewed indicated they would follow our rules. A few had their own techniques which they explained in detail. At the end of the day, really it comes down to what do you want for your child? Youare the employer, tell your employee how you want your child disciplined, which I assume is re-direction, time out, or loss of privileges?
mamilola
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I was a nanny for a few years.  Correction would be whatever the parents dictate.  However let me say that I would never raise a hand to or voice at anyone else's children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Quoting Marti123: this decision should be addressed when you interview your nanny. The majority of nannies I interviewed indicated they would follow our rules. A few had their own techniques which they explained in detail. At the end of the day, really it comes down to what do you want for your child? Youare the employer, tell your employee how you want your child disciplined, which I assume is re-direction, time out, or loss of privileges?

Thanks mama, I'm just nervous, never done this before and my kiddos are my world :).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Quoting mamilola:

I was a nanny for a few years.  Correction would be whatever the parents dictate.  However let me say that I would never raise a hand to or voice at anyone else's children.

We only use gentle disclipline with the kiddos, I just wonder how appropriate it is for someone other than the parent to do it.  

TwoPennies
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:13 PM
I'm currently a nanny for twins whose parents practice gentle discipline. The girls are 13mos now and at that stage where they are getting into everything. I have a Montessori background and that combined with the GP it's been a very positive environment for the girls. I have never and would never, raise a hand to someone else's children.
I will say that I let the girls explore more than mom and dad, they are worried the girls might get hurt and want to prevent it. I respect they are the final authority but I do also stretch the girls in their experiences.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM
my nanny/ babysitter for my kids has never raise her hand nor voice to them. She is actually 10 × calmer than I ever have been in my life. And when I hired her we sat down and talked everything out on expectations and she told me she would never put a hand on them said that she didn't care if I had a hidden camera in the house or a visible camera because her techniques would never change. And I came home early today and my oldest was sittin in the hallway for being disrespectful and that's usually the only punishment she is ever had to give them sit them out so they can calm down.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)