Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for cheap recipes

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:01 PM
  • 10 Replies
I have recently started planning out our meals and trying to plan my grocery lists better in an effort to save money and be healthier, but I need help with recipes!

I'll start by sharing one of our few current go to meals, which is not creative but also cheap and mostly healthy:

Lemon pepper baked chicken breasts, white rice, and mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyBugsMommy815
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Spaghetti and stir fry are good, cheap meals.

I also take chicken breasts and seal them in aluminum foil with Italian dressing and then bake them in the oven. Sliced potatoes done the same way is a yummy side dish.

TwoPennies
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Boca crumbles, shredded cabbage, bean sprouts sauted together with a splash of teriyaki and wrapped up in a large lettuce leaf. It's one of my favorite meals along with refried beans, carrot sticks and hummus.
Donna.June
by Pigpen on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Arroz con pollo (chicken and rice).

Homemade burritos (make the tortillas and beans yourself).
StoicLife
by Katerina on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:10 PM

We're having a bunch of appetizers tonight with family and i'm making pillsbury pizza pockets :)  I highly recomend them.  That isn't something I usually make but it's easy and it was pretty cheap.

rhiannonaisling
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:19 PM

My favorite inexpensive go to is spaghetti. $.98 for noodles, $.99 for a can of Hunts Spaghetti sauce, and 3-4 dollars for meat.

JulieSantee
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Quoting mrs.miller89: I have recently started planning out our meals and trying to plan my grocery lists better in an effort to save money and be healthier, but I need help with recipes! I'll start by sharing one of our few current go to meals, which is not creative but also cheap and mostly healthy: Lemon pepper baked chicken breasts, white rice, and mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)

Thanks for the dinner idea.  I have everything to make exactly that and it sounds good. Thanks! :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:36 PM

I just made homemade falafel from an internet recipe and it was great - my DD (7) liked it - she won't eat beans any other way.

1 cup dried chickpeas/garbanzo beans, soaked in water that goes 2-3 inches above the beans in a bowl overnight (12 hrs at least). 1/2 a medium onion or 1 small onion, chopped. 2 small cloves of garlic (peeled). a handful of fresh parsley or cilantro leaves, 3/4 tsp salt, about a tsp of coriander powder (I crushed coriander seeds I had on hand), and about a tsp of cumin or curry powder.

Drain beans well, and blend the lot. Form into patties and fry. The recipe said make into balls and deepfry but you don't have to. Make little round flat patties and just fry them on medium high heat. Yummy and CHEAP! Serve with tomato, yogurt, tahini, salad... and serve on pitas (or regular toasted bread - what I had on hand). The recipe was from here: http://firstwefeast.com/eat/how-to-make-falafel/

mrs.miller89
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 5:05 PM
No problem! =)

Quoting JulieSantee:

Quoting mrs.miller89: I have recently started planning out our meals and trying to plan my grocery lists better in an effort to save money and be healthier, but I need help with recipes! I'll start by sharing one of our few current go to meals, which is not creative but also cheap and mostly healthy: Lemon pepper baked chicken breasts, white rice, and mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)

Thanks for the dinner idea.  I have everything to make exactly that and it sounds good. Thanks! :)

mrs.miller89
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Thanks for the great ideas so far, keep em coming!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)