Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think when babies are always sick?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
A friend of mine has twins and they stay sick. Seriously in and out of the hospital sick with virus after virus. Two weeks ago one had whooping cough and now they both have RSV.
The babies are only 4 months old. And both have had their own hospital stay already due to illness. The older kids always seem to have ear infections or a cough or runny nose.

I finally asked if she thought asking her Dr about probiotics was a good idea. Maybe they have a weak immune system.

But seriously she will let any one hold those babies. Everyone and their mama kisses on them. They get passed around to everyone who wants to hold them and now she's posting that she's considering only letting close family hold them from now on.

What do you think when you hear of a friend whos babies and kids are always sick? Like constantly back to back with serious viruses or illnesses?

Personally, IMO, I think omg when is she gonna learn what a fucking germ is?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheRingmaster
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:50 PM
4 moms liked this
You're an idiot.
I've had three preemies. I don't shelter them. Anyone can hold them.
We take them out immediately.
ALL SIX OF THEM. It's not from that.
You're highly uneducated and judgmental.
Her children clearly have low immunity. Ear infections are actually passed down genetically.
At least large amounts of them. Some people are more prone.
You need to shut your mouth and open a book.
MrsRA
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I would think some reason the kid's immune systems were weak. 

I have a grandson who is always sick, not real sick, just lots of colds etc....I blame it on the fact that his momma was nuts about hand sanitizer when he was a baby, and she was always taking him to the dr for every little thing and he was always taking meds for something. I feel this kept his immune system from strengthening. 

MagicMary
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:52 PM

It's sad but you really cannot control things like this I think.

rgba
by Ruby Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I think they are always sick because they have an older sibling...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
That could be true. Our Dr we have to beg to give the kids antibiotics. She says most kids systems work out sickness just fine and antibiotics can hinder their ability to overcome sickness if their immune system isn't given the chance to fight it.

I don't shelter my kids from sickness. We actually all just had a stomach virus this week but I did voice my concern that maybe their immune systems were weak and possibly look into probiotics for them.

Quoting MrsRA:

I would think some reason the kid's immune systems were weak. 

I have a grandson who is always sick, not real sick, just lots of colds etc....I blame it on the fact that his momma was nuts about hand sanitizer when he was a baby, and she was always taking him to the dr for every little thing and he was always taking meds for something. I feel this kept his immune system from strengthening. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:56 PM
I assume they have weak immune systems
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:57 PM
It depends on the situation. Some children like this just aren't in healthy environments. However, it sounds like these little ones have legitimate immune deficiencies.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:58 PM
Viruses are contagious FYI....

They don't just pop up.

But that's ok, I totally take you seriously with your misspelled words. Looks like I'm not the only idiot. Right?

Quoting TheRingmaster: You're an idiot.
I've had three preemies. I don't shekter them. Anyone can hold them.
We take them out immediately.
ALL SIX OF THEM. It's not from that.
You're highly uneducated and judgmental.
Her children clearly gave low immunity. Ear infections are actually passed down genetically.
At least large amounts of them. Some people are more prone.
You need to shut your mouth and open a book.
olivejuice2
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Were they formula fed or born via cesarean section?

There is a growing body of evidence that the method of your birth and the way you are handled and fed during your first days after birth can have a lifelong effect on your gut microbes. If you don't have a healthy microbiome with high diversity your health can be negatively effected for years, decades, perhaps your entire life. This is an interesting field of study, but not enough is known at this time.
mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:58 PM
I think it would depend. I personally know someone who makes her kids bathe once per week max, doesn't make them wash their hands EVER...like they come to the dinner table covered in dirt and grime. She thinks covering their mouth when they sneeze or cough is unnecessary because they're just "helping other kids build immunity" when they spread their bodily fluids. Her kids are also always sick. She says they have weak immune systems but realistically she just doesn't care for them properly.

In other cases it very well could be a weak immune system. It depends on the circumstance I guess.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)