Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Have A Very Important Question!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
I have some pretty bad chest congestion. I think it's time to go to the doctors for it. I'm having a hard time breathing.
Anyway I actually have two questions.
First question is can I ask my doctor for an albuterol inhaler? I was diagnosed with bronchial asthma as a child and every once in a while I'll have flare up where I need one. I was not with this doctor when diagnosed.
Second question. I wanted y'all's opinion on weather or not I should make a seperate appointment to talk about some anxiety issues I've been having. I get heart palipitations when I'm stressed and sometimes get overwhelmingly agitated and am constantly on edge. So should I?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:32 AM

yes you can explain about your childhood bronchitis and ask for the inhaler, he/she may or may not give it to you.

You don't talk to your dr about all your health concerns at one appt?  No need for another appt, just talk about everything while you;re there.

emandab
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:33 AM

I'd take care of it all at once.  The doctor may refer you for another apptointment for the latter issues(tis the season for sickness)  but if she's able to take a few extra minutes she might be able to address all of it right then.  

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:35 AM

First question: Yes. Whether or not he prescribes it is up to him, but you can ask and an asthma diagnosis should be in your medical history. 

Second question: I would talk to your GP, but in general for anxiety issues, you're going to need to make an appointment with a therapist or a psychologist. Most GPs will not prescribe any medications for mental health unless there is already an existing prescription from a psychologist/psychiatrist. ( I can never remember which one actually prescribes the medication)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:36 AM
Yes you can ask for the inhaler they may or may not give it to you without additional tests. If it's a sick visit for the chest congestion I would keep it very problem specific. I would discuss the anxiety at another appt. if it's your yearly physical bring it up
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:36 AM
Let the receptionist know that you are sick, but would like to discuss general health concerns as well. That way she can make the schedule to allow for more time than a sick appointment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:38 AM
Yes ask for the inhaler and talk about the anxiety at the same visit no need for separate appointments.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:03 AM
Ok thank you everyone for your advice. I'm going to go ahead and just discuss everything in one appointment.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:04 AM
This.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

yes you can explain about your childhood bronchitis and ask for the inhaler, he/she may or may not give it to you.

You don't talk to your dr about all your health concerns at one appt?  No need for another appt, just talk about everything while you;re there.

calcalmommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:04 AM
Do it all at once and when you make the app tell them everything it's for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:07 AM
In some cases people may need a referral from their gp for mental health treatment. At the very least, he could help her find the right doctor for her anxiety issues.

Quoting LokisMama:

First question: Yes. Whether or not he prescribes it is up to him, but you can ask and an asthma diagnosis should be in your medical history. 

Second question: I would talk to your GP, but in general for anxiety issues, you're going to need to make an appointment with a therapist or a psychologist. Most GPs will not prescribe any medications for mental health unless there is already an existing prescription from a psychologist/psychiatrist. ( I can never remember which one actually prescribes the medication)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)