Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Non-tippers realize????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
I see many debates on here on tipping. But, I do not think people realize servers that get paid below minimum wage do not get tipped you're just screwing yourself
and I'll tell you why. By law you must get minimum-wage. So if they took away tipping that means prices will go up .Possibility more than what it will cost you than a tip would .
Anyone agree or disagree ?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
*Do
Canadiana
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:51 AM
Do non tippers. Do
malissaL
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:53 AM
I tip for service. If the server sucks I leave a really shitty tip. Bottom line.
MagicMary
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:53 AM

*DO

TexanMomOf6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:54 AM
If my old boss had to pay a penny more, he would just close the restaurant.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM

It can.  I've never lived in a state where servers make below minimum wage (honestly, I'd never heard of it until joining discussion boards).

ETA:  In some cases, if it's a chain, they could close restaurants in the area.  I live near Seattle, which has (or is getting) the $15 an hour minimum wage.  The franchise owner of a popular chain around here  he owns several of the franchises here - is pulling out.  Keeping the ones out of state, where the minimum wage is more reasonable.  Ours is one of the highest in the country, evne without the "$15" minimum wage.  To him, it's just not worth it, he can make more money elsewhere.  And yeah - LOTS of people are losing their jobs.

TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM
3 moms liked this

Say what?  I'm not following what you are trying to say relating to minimum wage.

I tip by the quality of the service.  If the server isn't being paid minimum wage for their job - that is their issue with their boss, not my problem.  My tip is a bonus for good service.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM
So many private owners. So there are job lost.

Quoting TexanMomOf6: If my old boss had to pay a penny more, he would just close the restaurant.
mommieof38829
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:56 AM
If a waitress wants a too then she will do her job the correct way, you suck then no tip. And I know they make 2.13 here, prices have not gone up because of a waitress not getting tipped.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Actually if a person relying on tips doesn't meet the minimum wage they must be compensated to make up the difference by the company they work for.  They do not have to be paid over time however.   Further, some establishments put the tips in a pot and they are divided equally among the wait staff, bus boys, dish washers etc.  

Now, as for tipping, I tip based on service.  Thus, if you want a tip that is considered "good" then you had better provide me with the same service.  If you don't provide good service you will either not be tipped, or you will receive a low one.

Finally a server doesn't have just one table at a time-in an hour they could have say 4-5 tables.  In that hour they are paid $3.20 an hour I believe.  So out of those 5 tables that are cared for in a 60 minute period say 4 tip $5 each, and the 5th got shiity service so no tip.  The server still made $23.20 in that hour.  That isn't going to drive up the price of my steak too much just because table 5 wasn't pleased.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)