Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**update** Wait, you want me to what? Bring it on SANCTIOMMIES!

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM
  • 80 Replies

I babysit.

Yesterday was the first day back to school after winter break. I haven't talked to my friend for at least a week because we've both been busy. Yesterday when she dropped the kids off she told me the oldest was grounded and couldn't watch TV or go to the library.

HOLD UP! WAIT! WHAT?

I can get down with no TV, we don't watch it. However, Monday is our Library day and she knows it. So, because your kid is in trouble (unbeknownst to me until that moment) my kid has to skip the library too? Get the hell outta here!

I know I looked at her with crazy eyes. She didn't tell me the day before so I could come up with a half assed reason for skipping the library, or even explain to my kids that library day would have to wait. She just dropped it on me.

I didn't take them to the library.

So, last night I called her. I explained that I will support her punishments to the very best of my ability but that what happened that morning wasn't fair to my kid. When my kid is in trouble I make sure it doesn't unfairly impact her kids. I asked her for a heads up if it happened again.

I guess I'm no longer babysitting. She called me 10 minutes ago and said she was reconsidering our arrangement. Okay. I hope she doesn't change her mind because I may not be available tomorrow.

Since when does a daycare provider completely back up a parent's request even if it completely disrupts the other kids. yeah? No! Luck with that!

Vent over! 

Would you put the requests of a parent and another child over that of your own family in this situation? How about for $3.00 an hour?

**She contacted me after lunch and apologized. I told her that I would watch the kids for 2 more weeks and that she needed to find a new babysitter. She's sad but said she understands**

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:56 AM
7 moms liked this

I would have gone to the library and not let him get anything.  No way in hell would my kids miss out because of her.  

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:58 AM
4 moms liked this
Punishments at home do not extend to my daycare setting.

I would have told her that at drop off.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:59 AM
3 moms liked this

My son is best friends with the neighbor girl and we spend time together everyday. I never use things they do together as a punishment because I know she will be punished as well. your friend didn't think. And now she has lost out. Once she is paying a proper amount for child care she will soon miss your services.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
While it wasn't right for her to withhold that her child couldn't go to the library until that morning, I don't see the big deal. Tell your child that something came up, we can't go to the library today, but you will take them when you're able to. Babysitting is your job ATM and sometimes jobs take priority to taking your child somewhere they want to go. I get it, though...my kids LOVE books and LOVE the library and they'd be heartbroken too...but, you have a job to take care of.
Regardless of how much you're getting paid, you're getting paid and money wasn't an issue when the agreement started, otherwise you would have turned the job down, correct?
It's probably best if she does find alternate childcare.
MagicMary
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Wtf? I would have just gone to the library then if she was going to be that cuntish about it. FUCK her I'd say, tell her that her face too.

Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I take care of two little guys as well as my own and would neve rbe expected to NOT take the 3 of them on an outing because 1 is in trouble.  That is ridiculous.  TV can be turned off for the whole, that is no biggie, but the library--geesh, it's not like you were taking them out for ice cream!  Good luck!

PogoPalOj
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this.  My kids shouldn't suffer because yours is on punishment. 

Quoting WifeyC:

I would have gone to the library and not let him get anything.  No way in hell would my kids miss out because of her.  

msmamacita
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:15 AM
2 moms liked this

A simple phone call to let you know in advance would have been the adult way to handle things. It's not like she didn't know her kid was coming back to you or that he was on punishment. It would at least have given you a chance to find an alternative IF you wanted to and with that being said, I would have taken them and her kid just would not have been able to participate with the others. I was a pre school teacher for a long time and had parents always thinking that whatever I had on my lesson plan was supposed to be stopped because their kid was in trouble. It did not work that way for me because it was not fair to the other kids.

Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM

No I would not punish the children that did nothing wrong.

zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM

This! 

Quoting WifeyC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)