Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They won't let me adopt any dog :(

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:03 AM
  • 321 Replies
1 mom liked this
So we have wanted a dog for yrs....however I wanted to wait until my youngest was a little older and also potty trained.

We have a house with a fenced yard.

I called the shelter wanting to adopt a shelter dog first...rather than a breeder.

Asked about good family/cat friendly dogs....she asked about our home/pets/children and said she was sorry but she would not adopt to us. Mainly because I have a 3 yr old. Wtf????

Seriously? I'm bummed. I saw a few sweet looking dogs and th ought we could help one find a good home :(
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
svolkov
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:04 AM
Bump :/
MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this

I've never heard of that before. I can understand not letting you adopt a dog that isn't good with kids, but to not let you adopt at all seems extreme.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM
11 moms liked this

If it's meant to be, it will be! 

Honestly, I'd call again today and omit the part about the kiddo. Fuck them lol.

Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM
2 moms liked this
Is that the only shelter around?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

That's odd.  There's no reason why a parent can't be a good dog owner.  

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM
4 moms liked this

That sucks. Some shelters are so strict it's ridiculous. Just look for a breeder or someone selling puppies in your local area. Those dogs need homes too.

Kc0001
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM
4 moms liked this

Try different shelters, the SPCA in TX doesnt do that, we adpoted 110lb dog when we had a 3yr old and a 6yr old. I have heard of some shelters having such a policy, but just keep trying different shelters.

chillemi78
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM
I can understand the limit on young kids to a certain extent, for some of the same reasons you waited. Did you ask what their age cut off is?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM
Yea shelters are a pain in the ass.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM
6 moms liked this

Kids under 3 - if they haven't had a dog before - sometimes aren't a good fit.  They don't realize dogs need to be trained, they can't have people food, they can't be pulled on, sat on, and so on.  Then the kid gets nipped - and the parents say it's the dogs fault.

A lot of shelters won't let you adopt if the kids are under 5/6.  Try agan in a year or so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)