Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Let her quit? Or honor her commitment?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

My DD is 11 years old. She has been playing travel softball since she was 8 years old. She is very talented and has always loved it. We spend our time and money on it because its what she wants to do.

She broke her ankle around the end of September so she basically had to start her "winter break" from sports early. Her team takes off November-January. I think a break is good and I am not one of those crazy parents that make my kid do winter workouts and practice everyday during the break. But we started fundraising in November, one of them being selling $100 raffle tickets for a Reverse Raffle. We had to sell 3 and pretty much because I am not asking people to buy $100 tickets we always buy them ourselves. I asked her before we went to the meeting to get the tickets if she was sure she wanted to play again. She said yes. So I got the tickets and told the coach she was playing. I am also in charge of the uniforms (ordering, sizing, etc.) I have spent alot of time and money trying to get the uniforms straight.

Ok so here is the problem, last night she tells me she doesn't want to play anymore. Didn't give me a reason really. just that she didn't think she really liked playing anymore. I do not want to force her to play. BUT I am kinda pissed that she waited until we spent $300 on these tickets and I have worked so hard to get uniforms.  Part of me feels that she needs to honor her commitment for this season at least. I find it hard to believe she just all of a sudden stopped liking it. She hasn't played since September and all she wants to do now is sit in her room on her phone.  But the other part of me does not want to make her play if she truly doesn't want to. If she would've told me this back in November before we committed and got the tickets I wouldn't think twice about  letting her stop. Ugh tweens!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:30 AM
If make her honour her commitment. No doubt once she's back in it she'll realise how much she loves it again
cinnamonkiti
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Is she afraid of re-injuring her ankle, perhaps?

Melbornj
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:33 AM

I would make her finish the season and then quit.

NotAnon79
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:33 AM

You asked her and she said she wanted to play.  Make her honor the commitment for the season, and then she can think about what she wants to do.

Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Since she is already signed up and the money has already been spent, she should honor her commitment. If next season she doesn't want to play, dont make her.  

StormiAnn
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:35 AM
I'd make her honor her commitment, whatever is already paid for should be completed then if she wants to quit, she can quit after the season after it is completed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:35 AM

No, I don't think that is it, she has been fine in gym and everything else. I honestly think it is the fact that she has spent her break being lazy and her new group of friends don't play sports. They are good kids, but they honestly do nothing but sit around and play on their phones. I do not allow that. We live in NC, right on the border of VA. So she plays on a team out of Virginia and so she doesn't go to school with her teammates. She also started her period in November and has become a moody tween that replaced my sweet out going child! lol.

Quoting cinnamonkiti:

Is she afraid of re-injuring her ankle, perhaps?

BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:36 AM
Id make her finish the upcoming season and then if she still feels the same way, then end it then.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:36 AM
I'd say she has to do it this time and we will open the discussion backnup. But then that may just make her hate it more.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:39 AM
Having sons who play travel baseball, this isabsolutely not a decision i wouls make for them.

Its january. The perfect time for a child to decide they dont want to play a spring sport.

And its certainly not fair to the other kids on the team to have a teammate that doesnt want to be there.

I would however suggest she finds another hobby. Even if its just rec softbal in the spring,
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)