Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal?! What do I tell him?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:44 AM
  • 9 Replies
Yesterday I took my 6 year old DS to the doctor for what I thought was a UTI. He has trouble peeing in the morning and feels he has to go many times after he has initially gone.

After a negative test result for a UTI, the doctor said that it is probably morning erections. What?!?

At first I scoffed at her, but then I went in while he was pottying and that seems to actually be the reason. (So awkward!)

How do I explain this to him? Is there any way to help? He gets so frustrated in the mornings and just stands at the potty for 15 to 20 minutes because he still needs to potty. I feel so bad for him /: My husband has no idea what to say and doesn't remember if he had that probably as a 6 year old.
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
strongforthem
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
You just tell him. Your penis fills with blood at night while you are sleeping. This is normal and natural, it's called an erection. That is why it's hard to pee in the morning. Maybe take a shower before going to the bathroom in the morning.
xtwistedxlovex
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine's been getting erections since infancy. I always assumed it was normal. A full bladder can cause them, but I believe it also happens several times per night as a way of keeping the tissues healthy.

SaraKC0814
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:55 AM
A shower is a great idea! I didn't even think of that.

Quoting strongforthem: You just tell him. Your penis fills with blood at night while you are sleeping. This is normal and natural, it's called an erection. That is why it's hard to pee in the morning. Maybe take a shower before going to the bathroom in the morning.
SaraKC0814
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:57 AM
Yeah, he would get them as a baby but I, for some reason, thought they would go away until puberty.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Mine's been getting erections since infancy. I always assumed it was normal. A full bladder can cause them, but I believe it also happens several times per night as a way of keeping the tissues healthy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:00 AM
My six yr old still wets the bed every night so I don't have to deal with him using the potty first thing in the morning. Wish I had your problem lol
TxMotherOf4
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:01 AM
Wake him up in stages. Maybe that will help out a bit.
strongforthem
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:01 AM
At best it will help with the umm.. situation.. and at the least it is a time waster lol

Quoting SaraKC0814: A shower is a great idea! I didn't even think of that.

Quoting strongforthem: You just tell him. Your penis fills with blood at night while you are sleeping. This is normal and natural, it's called an erection. That is why it's hard to pee in the morning. Maybe take a shower before going to the bathroom in the morning.
MagicMary
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Wow I went through something similar.
Only that was not the answer given to me, it was my 5 yr old and I was *absolutely sure* it was UTI. But nope, tests just came back negative.
His dr. noticed a teeensy like fucking pin sized cut/abrasion on the tip of his penis though and said that is what the problem was, gave me some cream to put on it and I did, the problem last a week after that and then nothing it went away, so maybe it was for us?

I don't know what to say though, haven't gotten there. When he was really young he had an erection once and was asking/talking about it, I just told him it was normal and ok, it happens.

I don't know... let him work it out on his own? Good luck though 

SaraKC0814
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Well the shower idea seemed to work!!! A frustration free morning! Woo!!

Thanks for the idea strongforthem!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)