Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To scared to go on a cruise? What would you do?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:23 AM
  • 45 Replies
We are talking, very seriously, about taking a cruise this summer. It would only be a 4 for 5 night cruise to the Caribbean or Mexico. My 9 year old has had the strangest reaction. He's terrified! To the point of having nightmares! He keeps asking things like "what if a shark knocks over the ship?" What if a whale bites the ship and breaks it?" Really strange questions and fears. (At least, it seems strange to me.) How would you handle this? I'm at a loss!
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:27 AM

I don't know, we've gone on one last summer and the kids loved it.  Weren't scared before hand, so here's a bump.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM

He's 9? Quite frankly I would tell him to knock it off, it will be fine. He will see how much fun he will have the minute he gets on board. I wouldn't worry about it.

krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Appreciate it!

Quoting spunky946:

I don't know, we've gone on one last summer and the kids loved it.  Weren't scared before hand, so here's a bump.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:30 AM

You need to highlight all of the things he can do on the ship and in port. You also need to show him pictures online of the ship so he can see that his fears are ungrounded and not even plausible. Make him a part of planning the cruise- excursions, etc...if he gets involved in the planning aspect he might be more accepting. 

I would not play into his fears and I would not coddle him either. I would explain that we are going and he will face his fears in the process. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM
I'm in my 20s and scared to go on a cruise, take his reactions and fears seriously.
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Ordinarily, I would but this fear seems to have escalated past that point. He's had nightmares the last couple of nights that woke him up crying. Not at all usual for him!

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

He's 9? Quite frankly I would tell him to knock it off, it will be fine. He will see how much fun he will have the minute he gets on board. I wouldn't worry about it.

tossed
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM

If he has watched any of the Shark Week shows, his fears are understandable. There are also cartoons of sharks and orcas attacking boats.

Are you going on a Disney Cruise?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you live near a port? Maybe take him to see a ship so he can see how big they are, address his fears. Maybe show him pictures and/or videos (if you haven't already) of the ship so he can see how big it is and all of the things that are in the ship
VibeRant
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Do some research with him to show him how big the ship is. Take him to a travel agent and arrange a meeting to have the rep talk it over with him if you have to. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:34 AM
Cruises suck.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)