Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old wants gummies for breakfast

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I told him he has to eat food first but hes still crying for gummies. Do i just let him go without? Cause im not giving gummies but hes starting to give me a headache.
hes 4 yrs old &33lbs & 41 inches tall.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
paigesmommy5264
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:12 PM
Eh, i've given my 5yr old gummies before breakfast, choose your battles..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM
Thats all he wants to eat lately and would go through 5 packages a day if i let him. Our current battle is making him eat healthy and cutting back on snacks. He can have a pack of gummies if he eats something not before because he wont eat afterwards.

Quoting paigesmommy5264: Eh, i've given my 5yr old gummies before breakfast, choose your battles..
dandynorm
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:16 PM
I was once told by a nutritionist that a handful of gummies or jelly beans is actually a better breakfast than most breakfast foods. It's not overly filling, and the sugars help stimulate the brain when we need it most.
More ideal is a balance of whole grain and protein, though.
JackAttacks
by Angel on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:19 PM
Get gummy vitamins and serve them everyday with breakfast. Just store them out of reach so they don't eat more than recommended.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Throw the gummies in the trash and take two Tylenol.
Loveiskind08
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM
I would tell him that he needs to go in his room until he's ready to eat breakfast calmly. I would give him two or three options of breakfast food.
He's probably just hoping to annoy you enough that you'll give in. So I would make him take his whining elsewhere.
Chandra314
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM
Obviously, it's not a balanced breakfast, (but I have heard that about gummies vs typical cereal)...although, the problem now is that you sorta kinda don't want to give in to the tantrum.

When my four-year-boys do that, I let them cry for a while in the "public space" (while offering support--it's okay to be upset; all you have to do is eat a bit of healthy food and then you can have the gummies, your brain and body needs gas, just like a car...we all feel upset sometimes--want me to breathe with you?)
And finally, when this doesn't help *it usually does*...and if I can't take anymore whining, then they go to their room until they're ready to join us.

The problem isn't the gummies - it's the tantrum to get his way.

TL;DR - don't give in. Good luck.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:30 PM
You can't give in now, but I'd have served the gummies along with the breakfast food.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)