Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Like An Icepick To My Brain

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

Please don't tell your child to do something (or to stop doing something) 20 times whilst in my presence.  Don't do it 10 times.  Even 5 is foolish.

If you want him/her to do something (or stop) and you say it once, s/he ought to comply.  If not, employ a strategy...issue a warning, physically move the child, pray together, offer a bribe, get up in the kid's grill, remove a distraction.  I don't care what.  But somehow do something to compel the child to listen and obey. 

Because just saying the same thing 20 times (yes I counted yesterday while this was happening) isn't just brutally painful for me, but it also teaches your child that you are irrelevant and weak and that there is no reason to ever listen to you.

ETA...which is not to in any way discourage the use of the broken record technique...one of my personal faves and so totally NOT what this mom was doing yesterday

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Outspoken.Mime
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:35 PM

That actually annoys me too.  If you aren't going to do something to make them stop, then just stop pretending to care they are doing it.

only_1_4_me
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:36 PM

I give my daughter three counts to change her behavior.. I couldnt imagine saying it 20 times.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:36 PM

yes, because bribing is a superior strategy?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM
Oh stop it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM
Come on stop it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Hey I said stop
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

yes, because bribing is a superior strategy?

If I had to rank them, I would put bribery slightly ahead of impotent yammering, yes.  And occasional bribery wisely applied is even kinda good.

DensHag
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:39 PM
I agree. My sister used to say to her kids over and over "do you want a timeout?" Annoying as fuck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:41 PM
Pray together is a new one, that would be interesting.
FBomber76
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:41 PM

I use "1,2,3" Magic technique. Never fails. I never have to get to three anymore, and if I do, it's an instant time-out. No questions asked. My DS hates timeouts with a passion. So, he usually obliges me by 2. I refuse to repeat myself like that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)