• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She keeps oversleeping!! . Final E.T.A.

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM
  • 387 Replies
1 mom liked this

Final e.t.a.;

Why is this even still going? I have stopped even reading replies on this as of last night, because I am tired of the same replies over & over despite all my previous e.t.a.'s.

I get it already. I am a lazy horrible mother who stopped parenting my older kids as soon as I had another kiddo according to so many of you ladies who do not even know me.

Never mind that NO ONE who knows me in person, especially my kids, would even remotely agree with that idea.

I did get up with them this morning, and will continue to do so. Can we please find more interesting posters to bash on needlessly now?

4th eta. This is getting long with all the e.t.a's, so I will summarize up here for those who are just now reading it & don't want to read all that, but I will not delete anything I already wrote, except for in the title. Titles can only be so long.

Summary*

I have my 14, (on the 12th) y.o. boy & my 11 y.o. girl get themselves up & ready for school. I feel it is important for their autonomy & to learn personal responsibility. I pack their lunches the night before. Sometimes if the 2 y.o. lets me get a good night's sleep, & I hear them stirring around in there I wake up & come hang out with them before they go. Often I am just to exhausted to do so.

I could go off on a tangent about my very demanding 2 y.o. and her extremely trying night time habits & routines & my d.h.'s interference in my attempts at establishing rules, routines and discipline, but I won't. At least they are both getting better about it. Six months ago it was literally killing me. At least now there is SOME routine & discipline & he backs me up to an extent.

So, if I am exhausted enough not to wake up, they can pop in and hug me and tell me goodbye, but they usually don't.

Anyway, my 11 y.o. lately has been oversleeping alot. I end up having to get up & drive her to school . It really throws off y.d.d's routine which adds to my mountain of stress, but that is NOT why I let her get herself ready, nor is it why I object to her oversleeping, but it does make it that much more annoying.

I spend lots of time with all my kids. Give them attention whenever they ask for it. Home schooled in the past, was willing to do it this year, but they thought about it all Summer and decided to go to brick & mortar school instead. I am NOT lazy & do not neglect them. When I home schooled it was 8 hours of hard work per day, & my day is already difficult& stressful as it is, but I was willing to do it again anyway.

I did refer to the people who keep saying I am putting my 2 y.o. Over the others as, "idiots", & I am sorry for that, but I doubt you ladies would say that if you spent a couple of days with us and saw for yourself, & it was getting really frustrating hearing that over & over.

sorry if I did not make this "summary as brief as I meant to, but I tried to answer the questions that popped up the most in the summary.
****summary over, but feel free to read it all if you've got time on your hands.****

Rd e.t.a.. I am a platinum member. I should have learned way before now that you can't so much as say, "good morning" in this group without being attacked on all sides.

You ladies do not know me or my family. You don't know about the years I home schooled my Kids because my X's son, ( who I raised from age 4) was way behind his peers in school and falling through the cracks.

You don't know about all the time I spend with my kids, playing with them, talking to them, reading with them, praying with them.

You don't know how often I haul myself and my 2 y.o.to the school to have lunch with one or the other of the kids.

You have ABSOLUTELY no idea how exhausting my daily routine is and how hard it is for me to get a half decent nights sleep.

I did find some good advice in amongst all the bashing, though. O.d.d. sets her alarms for 5. I will set mine on my phone for 6. I will leave it in the dining room where I will hear it & wake up, but the l.o. won't wake up.

I can check that o.d.d. is up and getting ready & spend some time with her and d.s. before they go to school. I can try to go back to bed after they leave. If O.d.d. is not already up and moving before I get up she will be grounded from electronics for the day and go to sleep earlier the next night. If it happens too often the earlier bed time will become long term.

My 11 y.o. lately has been oversleeping a LOT lately. She will stick her head in my bedroom door at 7:00 a.m., 15 minutes or so after her bus usually gets here, & inform me that she missed her bus.

I then have to wake my 2 y.o. up, which is a real problem because in order not to need a nap, she has to wake up no sooner than 9. If she naps I have a very tough time getting her to bed at night.

Plus it is a bigger problem when o.d.d. misses her bus than when d.s. misses his bus, because at least his school is close to lots of places where I can get the 2 y.o. & I breakfast. She gets hungry . Ugh! O.k. no matter how many times I try spellchecker will not let me use that new slang word that combines the word, "hungry", with the word, "angry", but you get the idea. Not a pretty sight if my 2 y.o. does not eat within a few minutes of waking up.

O.d.d's school is the opposite direction of any other sign of civilization, & we do not end up having time to eat breakfast at home before we go.

I set an alarm on my tablet. I set an alarm on o.d.d.'so phone & make sure both devices are fully charged & in her room before bed. Plus she has a really obnoxious alarm clock which we also set. She claims none of them went off, even though I double check all 3 before bed.

The 2 y.o. sleeps in my and d.h's room, so I do not want to set my own alarm in my own room so I can go wake her up myself. D.h. can not wake her up before he goes to work, because he leaves for work sometimes at 1:30 am, and the rest of the time at 3:30 am.

D.s. wakes up and catches his bus later than o.d.d., so he's no help because he gets up right around the time o.d.d.'s bus arrives. I am REALLY sick of having to wake the baby up & bring o.d.d. to school. :/

E.T.A. I wanted to address all at once all the idiots saying I am expecting the 11 y.o. to get ready on her own only BECAUSE I have a 2 y.o. That is NOT why I expect her to get up and ready on her own. It is only the thing that makes it especially annoying when she does miss the bus. I would expect her to do it at this age either way. I still helped her get up and ready almost the first whole year of the 2 y.o.'so life. And it was MUCH more difficult to do at that time than it is now, because Pea Pie would wake up and cry for the breast as soon as I got out of bed.

I have her get up on her own only because she is now old enough to do so, & a VERY important part of being a good mom is teaching kids personal responsibility and independence. What am I going to do, follow her to college some day so I can continue doing everything for her?

I would not mind her waking me up before she leaves so she can spend time with me or whatever, but she purposely avoids waking me up unless she misses the bus, because she knows I will probably redo her hair, & she hates that. She tends to miss some tangles. I just think at the age of puberty kids should at least learn to get up for school on time on their own.

I do pack both their lunches and leave them in the fridge the night before. Anyone who knows me at all would laugh at the idea that I neglect or ignore my older kids. In fact, I've been accused of being a helicopter mom and the kids constantly tell me I am too over protective.

Also, the l.o. doesn't sleep in our bed anymore. I moved her to the crib when I weaned her. I agree that it would be best if the 2 y.o. had her own room, but we only have a 3 b.r. house. When she consistently sleeps through the night without waking, we will move her into o.d.d.'s bedroom, but she still sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night crying. Nightmares, I guess. :( and I don't want her waking up the 11 y.o.

I can see how I would not want them to leave without saying goodbye if I worked, but I am a s.a.h.m. We do spend lots of time together. I can and sometimes do even have lunch with them any time I want.

I would not object in the least to them waking me up if they wanted to before they leave, but they usually don't. If I happen to wake up before they've left I go out there and hang out with them, but lots of times I sleep too late for that, because it takes the 2 y.o. till between 10:30 & 11 to fall asleep, & that is with me putting her in the crib at 9, but that is a subject for a whole other post.

The kids eat cereal with milk. It's not like breakfast has to be something cooked.
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:53 PM
7 moms liked this

uh, why don't YOU sent an alarm??

etsmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Send her to bed earlier at night. She may be have a growth spurt. 

loisl25
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:56 PM
I actually explained that in the o.p.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

uh, why don't YOU sent an alarm??

frankiesma530
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand, but then again, I'm sleepy myself. I wake up with my daughter to get her ready for school. I set the alarm on my phone next to my bed and I get up and make sure she does everything on the checklist so she'll be ready, then I drive. I'm not understanding.

*edit

I see now. My 2 year old sleeps with us also but I still set my alarm. If he wakes up, he wakes up. No biggie for me, though.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:57 PM
2 moms liked this

well how is it that neither your nor her alarms went off?

she is 7, YOU are responsible for making sure she is up in time for school

loisl25
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:57 PM
Yeah. We have done that as a result of this problem in the past. Guess we will have to make it a standing rule.

Quoting etsmom:

Send her to bed earlier at night. She may be have a growth spurt. 

mes_deux_amours
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Maybe she needs to go to bed earlier?
polkaspots
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:58 PM
8 moms liked this
Why don't you wake up in the morning?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

stop taking her to school.everyday she oversleeps she is the maid for the day...no fun,just work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:59 PM
o.O
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)