Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why have her if you're going to ignore her?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

We were in a restaurant this past weekend and sat beside a couple with a 2/3 year old girl in a stroller.

Her parents tried to get her to go to sleep by covering the stroller with a blanket and rocking it but she was wide awake. She wasn't crying or cranky, she was just babbling away to herself and didn't really want to stay in the stroller so they put her on a seat, put a massive pair of 'beats' type headphones on her, stuck in a pacifier in and then plugged her into an iPad.

I fully appreciate its' none of my business but it just made me sad that this was such an automatic reaction with a little girl who just wanted to interact with her parents.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:05 PM
7 moms liked this
You witnessed maybe one hour of interaction between parents and child. I don't think that qualifies you to speak to their entire parent/child dynamic.
crumpy_gat
by No. on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM
Maybe she was up all night driving them nuts
Seagodess
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Exactly this.

Quoting Danesmommy1: You witnessed maybe one hour of interaction between parents and child. I don't think that qualifies you to speak to their entire parent/child dynamic.

TresHijas111825
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM
THOSE terrible people wanted to eat a meal in peace-you should have called CPS! 😐

Truth is Mama...you glimpsed into their day...who is to say that is regular occurrence?
shuturpiehole
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM

For all you know she has sensory issues. Way to judge.

Mommylovesbean
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM
Maybe she gets loud while babbling and they didn't want to distract other diners? They seemed attentive to the child just by giving her games to play.
polkaspots
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:57 PM
That is sad if it is always like that, but I've done it too. My oldest has no patience and likes to run. She uses a phone or tablet when we're waiting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
702girly
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:03 PM

Exactly. You have no idea what might have been going on that day and what is normal for them. 

Quoting Danesmommy1: You witnessed maybe one hour of interaction between parents and child. I don't think that qualifies you to speak to their entire parent/child dynamic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:13 PM

Honestly, what did parents do before electronics? Communicate, talk, teach their kids?

Quoting polkaspots: That is sad if it is always like that, but I've done it too. My oldest has no patience and likes to run. She uses a phone or tablet when we're waiting.

polkaspots
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:21 PM
There have always been toys. When I was a kid my mom handed me puzzle books and crayons. I don't see a difference. Dd plays letter and number games recommended by her teacher.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Honestly, what did parents do before electronics? Communicate, talk, teach their kids?

Quoting polkaspots: That is sad if it is always like that, but I've done it too. My oldest has no patience and likes to run. She uses a phone or tablet when we're waiting.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)