• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for those who switched from Depo to Implanon

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
Looking for those who have switched from Depo (or another 100% progesterone birth control) to the Implanon/Nexplanon.

I've been on Depo for two years. I love it. No periods, no cramps, no spotting. My doctor is suggesting Implanon because she knows I'm looking for a long-term but non-permanent bc solution. She says it uses only progesterone and so my body would likely be affected the same as Depo.

I like this idea, and my insurance will cover it, but I am a wimp about needles so the idea freaks me out a bit. I am considering doing it, but I will be really irritated if I get crappy side affects.

Thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:41 PM

I did the opposite. Well actually at one point was on Depo, then was off BC for awhile, got pregnant, had her, got on Depo for 3 months then went straight to the Nexplanon (same as Implanon bascially). However, after being on the Nexplanon for almost 2 years I couldn't stand it anymore. I gained 20lbs, had a large amount of pregnancy symptoms though not pregnant, and sometimes it'd be fine, other times my moods would be all over. Got off of it since I ended up single anyway. Was off it maybe a month and then went on Depo when I started dating someone. Depo has been good for me. About due for my next shot and plan to get it. I wish Nexplanon didn't mess with me the way it did because i want a longer term BC, but I want to lose that 20lbs and nothing i did would make any of it budge. With Nexplanon i also occasionally got this pinching sensation in the arm it was in, even after having it a long time. But then again i use my arms a lot to groom dogs and restrain them so that may have been part of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:46 PM
Thank you for sharing. Yeah I am a bit concerned about side affects. I love depo and I know depo isn't great for everyone. I have pcos so it's helps manage my symptoms. I just wish the depo shot lasted longer, even a year would be great.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I did the opposite. Well actually at one point was on Depo, then was off BC for awhile, got pregnant, had her, got on Depo for 3 months then went straight to the Nexplanon (same as Implanon bascially). However, after being on the Nexplanon for almost 2 years I couldn't stand it anymore. I gained 20lbs, had a large amount of pregnancy symptoms though not pregnant, and sometimes it'd be fine, other times my moods would be all over. Got off of it since I ended up single anyway. Was off it maybe a month and then went on Depo when I started dating someone. Depo has been good for me. About due for my next shot and plan to get it. I wish Nexplanon didn't mess with me the way it did because i want a longer term BC, but I want to lose that 20lbs and nothing i did would make any of it budge. With Nexplanon i also occasionally got this pinching sensation in the arm it was in, even after having it a long time. But then again i use my arms a lot to groom dogs and restrain them so that may have been part of it.

stargazerwolf
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:58 PM

I know what you mean. I don't like having to go in every 3 months :/ its a pain. i wish there was something better. IUDs scare me a bit, the pill to me isn't effective enough, nor is the patch. I feel like the shot is my only option :/ Though at some point i may go back to the implant just so i can get by for a year or so and when im done having kids I'll probably have my tubes tied

Quoting Anonymous 1: Thank you for sharing. Yeah I am a bit concerned about side affects. I love depo and I know depo isn't great for everyone. I have pcos so it's helps manage my symptoms. I just wish the depo shot lasted longer, even a year would be great.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:02 PM
Nexplanon was painless going In and the process was very fast. I had been on depo before too. With depo I never had a period. I do get a light one every few months with the implant. That's the only bad part.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)