Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids these days!

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

This is a quote from Socrates, who lived 470 BCE-c. 399 BCE

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show respect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; tehy no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers." 

So I hear all the time, especially from the older crowd, but really from all ages of adults, that kids these days lack respect, that kids were different back in their day, tehy had more respect, etc. Often they pull in something like "Back when Christian values were strong, kids were better" 

But this quote shows this has been said for much of human history.

Do you tend to feel that today's generation of kids is different in a negative way: if so, what do yout hink about this quote?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:25 PM
I'm so not surprised that people, even way back then, thought the younger generation was a mess, lol.
MissTuree
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone and everything is always different because the world and society is constantly changing. The new generation will one day say the same thing, "Kids these days." Your post is spot on. Another thing I HATE the term 'nowadays', especially when used in a negative context.

"Nowadays women don't act like ladies." Possibly, but 'nowadays' women actually have freedom and can choose how they want to act! Isn't that wonderful?! Freedom!

"Nowadays kids don't know hard work." Possibly, but should we go back to when children died in factories/fields etc. because there were no child labor laws? 

Yes, things are different, and there may be some things we don't like. But we are better off than we were before in SO many ways. Now it's up to us as individuals to make our lives mean something to the world and raise children that enhance rather than detract from this crazy planet. 

*Climbs off soapbox, trips, scrapes knee, tries not to cry in front of CM'ers. Goes on about business, probably drinks a cup of coffee.*

.Milfshake.
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:38 PM

BUMP!

lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Congress is proof that brats aren't a "new" thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StoicLife
by Katerina on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:40 PM
I think there's a lack of respect with all people. But I also think the "formality" of situations has become more relaxed.
dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:43 PM
It's that way for every generation. Personally I'm proud of my teen and her peers for what they're accomplishing.

I remember my parents complaining about my generation also. It's what parents do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:53 PM
I think when people think back to their youth, there was a bit of ignorance as to what was going on outside their little circle. Once they get older they see and hear more outside of their community.

That, and I do believe that there is a cycle. I guarenteed that back even thousands of years ago there were civilizations much worse than us in the U.S. now.
But again, its all a cycle. Most didn't start out that bad. But as wealth increased, generation after generation of wanting to make things more free with less and less accountability, kids not needing to work as hard as their parents and grandparents but can spend more time on just entertainment does tend to make a nation gradually worse off until it destroyes itself or is destroyed by another nation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)